BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suffolk Transit Takeover - What do you want changed?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LLE Rebel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Suffolk Transit Takeover - What do you want changed? Reply with quote

MSBA was created to fold all of the outlying subrubs into the MTA... Back in the 70s people from MSBA came to Suffolk Transit but talks were stunted when it came down to questions of property and equipment.

Bearing all this in mind. The MTA is still lurking over Suffolk Transit.
What changes would you like to see at Suffolk?
Not just fantasy changes, but one's that you deem necessary to the public.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have read on this board and others, a central dispatching system with one radio frequency is a must. Right now each contractor uses its own frequency, making it impossible to hold a bus from one company at a connection point if another company's bus is behind schedule.

This way passengers don't have to have an interminable wait if a connection is missed.

There should also be a comprehensive assessment of routes and garage assignments, assuming the state makes a deal with the companies for storing of buses. This might reduce the deadheading of buses from various yards. For example, if Hart was included in this consolidation, then the S-1 could be split between the EBT depot in Copaigue (to cover the Farmingdale terminus) and HART (to cover the Halesite) terminus.
LLE Rebel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a command center for suffolk.
caine824

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Suffolk Transit improvments Reply with quote

I would definately give Sunday service to some routes, including the S1. Or at least add Saturday service past 7:30pm. Some other routes ends at 6:30pm during the week and i never understood why. I once saw people waiting on Route 110 near the huntington station for a S1 bus on a Sunday Rolling Eyes . Why doesn't Suffolk add service to some routes or Sunday to some at least?
asdfasdf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Suffolk Transit Takeover - What do you want changed? Reply with quote

LLE Rebel wrote:
MSBA was created to fold all of the outlying subrubs into the MTA...

That's not the whole story. Agreed MSBA was created to bring the suburbs into the MTA family (Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk Counties).

At the time Nassau was giving the private operators subsidies every year to run their buses. It was thought (ha,ha) that if the MTA ran the buses that there would no longer be any need for any subsidies. After the first couple years of operation, the amount of money Nassau County had to give MSBA was greater than when the lines was privately owned/operated. It was then that Westchester and Suffolk Counties decided that it would cheaper to let the then current operators run their buses and the current system was developed.

This is probably an oversimplification of what happened, but basicly what happened.

Bob K
The Don of All Buses

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i would like to see is buses running on sundays as well as 40 foot buses with improved service. ST bus stops need G.A.R boxes at all bus stops.
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday service and later service on evenings. Certain routes need more frequent service. Mainly the S92 and 3D. The S92 remains the most messed up route, due to a trifecta of problems, a poorly managed company (Sunrise), heavy traffic, and bombardment of the line by day laborers.
d.marra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLE Rebel wrote:
I like the idea of a command center for suffolk.

RRBOB has it summed up pretty good. I'm a retired MSBA Bus Operator, and was in on the original takeover in 1973. In 1974, I moved to Suffolk County, and saw first hand how the Suffolk Transit system was run.
34 years later, there has only been a few changes or additions to the bus routes. The S3 Carlton Ave route ran once every two hours 34 years ago, and has not changed since.
As far as the MTA ever running the Suffolk Bus System, that is most likely never going to happen. The one main reason has always been, "$$$$$$$$" money, or to put it bluntly, the lack of it!! There is None!
As a homeowner, the taxes out here are sending us broke, and looking for other off LI areas to move to. Our School Taxes alone are bleeding us dry, and there is just no revenue to build a better bus system.
I wish there was a better more frequent bus system.

Daniel
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pineywoodsbus wrote:
Sunday service and later service on evenings. Certain routes need more frequent service. Mainly the S92 and 3D. The S92 remains the most messed up route, due to a trifecta of problems, a poorly managed company (Sunrise), heavy traffic, and bombardment of the line by day laborers.

Suffolk transit will never fold into the MTA, cuz that would defeat the purpose that it was made. and the 3D is fine, if any route should get an extra bus or two its the S61. NYS Route 112 is a mad house during the day. but the 3D is low on my list of routes that needs more buses.

i hate the idea of Sunday service, because Sundays are a day that people rest from a busy work week. granted i wouldn't mind them if they were/are needed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
d.marra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI ALL;

As much as I like the discussions regarding bus operations on Long Island, I belong to several other bus and RR groups, and with emails and a multitude of other everyday family & household things to take care of, I just do not have the time to be on this forum everyday.
Thanks for the reminders, and I will respond/reply as soon as able to.

Regarding MTA taking over bus operations in Suffolk County, I know for sure, that the MTA would welcome to opportunity to revamp the antiqueated bus system, but it all comes down to F-U-N-D-I-N-G!! Suffolk "Taxpayers" have to initially pay for buses, salary's for drivers, mechanics and everything else that is needed to operate the system. That is never going to happen anytime in the near or even distant future.
Several months ago, during 2007, there was a Newday article regarding how this new company was going to takeover bus operations in the Peconic area. The "Officials" had it all figured out how a new transit system would gain more riders, yada, yada, yada.
With all their plans of new developments and businesses in the area, they LEFT OUT one major necessity. WHERE were they going to get drivers, mechanics, etc?? US Blue Collar bus workers can barely afford to live here now, and new housing is rapidly increasing in cost. The further east in the Hampton's, Peconic area, the higher the rent!!
Till next time, Everyone take care..

Daniel, aka Mr. Schenck Smile
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Schenck,

An interesting parallel can be found among volunteer fire departments in affluent areas, and particularly in the 'Five Towns' section of Nassau County where luxury housing now rules with little or no accommodation left for the blue or even grayish white collar class.

For years such departments as Lawrence/Cedarhurst and Woodmere/Hewlett have depended upon those more modest income people who live and work in the area for fire fighting roles.

However, they are disappearing by virtue of age and the redevopment to upward orientation of the less opulent areas in which they lived.

This has now gained crises proportions and, according to all I read in the local papers, these companies are seriously considering turning professional in the sense that they may have to hire paid firemen.

I would suppose that these factors are now becoming a way of life that we must all learn to deal with!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d.marra wrote:
HI ALL;

As much as I like the discussions regarding bus operations on Long Island, I belong to several other bus and RR groups, and with emails and a multitude of other everyday family & household things to take care of, I just do not have the time to be on this forum everyday.
Thanks for the reminders, and I will respond/reply as soon as able to.

Regarding MTA taking over bus operations in Suffolk County, I know for sure, that the MTA would welcome to opportunity to revamp the antiqueated bus system, but it all comes down to F-U-N-D-I-N-G!! Suffolk "Taxpayers" have to initially pay for buses, salary's for drivers, mechanics and everything else that is needed to operate the system. That is never going to happen anytime in the near or even distant future.
Several months ago, during 2007, there was a Newday article regarding how this new company was going to takeover bus operations in the Peconic area. The "Officials" had it all figured out how a new transit system would gain more riders, yada, yada, yada.
With all their plans of new developments and businesses in the area, they LEFT OUT one major necessity. WHERE were they going to get drivers, mechanics, etc?? US Blue Collar bus workers can barely afford to live here now, and new housing is rapidly increasing in cost. The further east in the Hampton's, Peconic area, the higher the rent!!
Till next time, Everyone take care..

Daniel, aka Mr. Schenck Smile

Suffolk County Tax Payers pay for the buses that Suffolk transit buys and the Companies that use the Buses, While the physical maintenance of the buses are left up to the compaines not the County.

and Mr. Linskey, the reason that fire districts are thinking of going paid is because nobody wants to risk their lifes for free anymore as well as the price of living are going up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LLE Rebel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you all have a grasp on the reality of the potential of a takeover. I would hazard a guess to say that the all knowing crew from the city would reluctantly take ST over with the proper arrangements of funding and quantity of pressure.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLE Rebel wrote:
I think you all have a grasp on the reality of the potential of a takeover. I would hazard a guess to say that the all knowing crew from the city would reluctantly take ST over with the proper arrangements of funding and quantity of pressure.

then why is Suffolk going to be buying new buses, they won't sell out to the MTA. u have to grasp with reality of the fact that Suffolk County won't be part of the MTA!

the MTA doesn't seam to have the money to run what they got now, whlie Suffolk Has done well with what they got. only once in the last 30 years has Suffolk transit had a fare hike but they brought that down within months. tell me how many fare hikes has the MTA had in the last 30 years?
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think LIB is in a much more dire situation than Suffolk Transit. Like I've said before, few ST routes are overcrowded. They are on time and reliable for the most part. Suffolk Transit "works"much better than LI Bus, even though ST has much fewer buses, they also have much fewer riders.
The MTA needs to get this takeover of LI Bus moving, because the buses are more crowded than ever. They are also breaking down and are always late.
As for Suffolk Transit, I dont think it needs an MTA takeover right now. I think the MTA has much more important things to be concerned about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: