BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MaBSTOA T6H-5309A (and El replacement buses)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 68, 69, 70  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

\Here's a gallery of vintage CD "Cold War" ads from the 1950's/early 1960's; without a doubt, such ominous ads were displayed throughout "Noo Yawk's" vast bus and subway fleets.

Recall, also, the omnipresent "FALLOUT SHELTER" signs displayed in the subways, rail and bus terminals, department stores, schools, etc.

Young as Your's Truly was during that uncertain era, I still clearly remember them.....

www.civildefensemuseum.com/artgal/protect.html
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Duck and Cover", indeed... Razz

I recall that era, vividly...we had periodic 'shelter' drills in school, along with fire drills. In the shelter drills, we all went down into the basement corridor, sat on the floor, and covered our heads with our coats. We also had the no-notice "take cover!" drills in our classrooms, where we just had time to duck beneath our desks and cover our heads with our arms.

My apartment building had until fairly recently, one of those yellow and black "Fallout Shelter" signs over the basement door entrance.

And who can forget the "CONELRAD" marks on the car AM radio dial at 640 and 1240 KHz?
http://www.conelrad.com/index.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AhSaWxvKnk

https://swling.com/blog/2022/02/guest-post-control-of-electromagnetic-radiation-conelrad/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

My trusty ol' '64 Dodge Dart 270 (and, before that, my '55 Ford Fordor) had those "CONELRAD" settings on their radios.

My nieces and nephews, who were quite young at the time, wanted to know what those settings were on the radio dial! Rolling Eyes

When I was starting school in the early 1960's, I well recall the "duck and cover" drills.

We'd be in the middle of class, when you'd hear an air raid siren wail, and the school bell shrilly ring; Sister would then briskly clap her hands.......

"Air raid drill, children! Duck and cover!", which we obediently did, diving beneath our little desks.

Thank God we kids were too young to REALLY know the reason behind these drills; to me, it was exciting, like being inside a newsreel, or, a "Twilight Zone" episode.

(My older brother Joe was a BIG "Twilight Zone" fan then, and I certainly became one, as I became older; recall the classic, haunting Twilight Zone Cold War episodes, "ONE MORE PALLBEARER", and "TIME ENOUGH TO LAST"*??)

Sometimes, after the alert had been sounded, the classes would march orderly down the corridors, and then sit on the floor of the "tunnel", which connected our school with the basement auditorium, beneath St. Anthony's Church.

What naive thinking....thinking that "duck and cover" could REALLY save us!

Young as I was, I do remember the Civil Defense car cards displayed inside of buses and subway cars, back then; of course, those omnipresent "FALLOUT SHELTER" signs were EVERYWHERE, including, of course, the "Port-Of-Authority", the subways, and the H&M/PATH stations.

It's all so long ago, now.....

"CONELRAD 640"

BTW: GREAT links....thanks! Very Happy

*I always found this TZ episode particularly ironic, on a personal note.

As (like "Mr. Bemis") I LOVE to read (especially about buses and all things related to public transport, in particular!), and am, indeed, blind-as-the-proverbial bat without my specs, I have often thought that "Mr. Bemis" awful fate, being without glasses in a post-nuclear world, "solo", and not being able to read the thousands of books at his disposal, particularly sobering........

"NYO"

(Episode trivia note: the rubble-strewn steps leading up to the destroyed library were also used in 1960's "THE TIME MACHINE", leading up to the ancient, partially-ruined Ampithetre)......
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
*I always found this TZ episode particularly ironic, on a personal note.

As (like "Mr. Bemis") I LOVE to read (especially about buses and all things related to public transport, in particular!), and am, indeed, blind-as-the-proverbial bat without my specs, I have often thought that "Mr. Bemis" awful fate, being without glasses in a post-nuclear world, "solo", and not being able to read the thousands of books at his disposal, particularly sobering........

"NYO"

(Episode trivia note: the rubble-strewn steps leading up to the destroyed library were also used in 1960's "THE TIME MACHINE", leading up to the ancient, partially-ruined Ampithetre)......

Except for the pilot episode and "An Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge" (a 1962 French short film aired in the show's fifth season to bring the series under budget), every other TZ episode was shot at MGM studios - and MGM released The Time Machine, so it figures.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Great trivia; no wonder the Ampitheatre steps from "THE TIME MACHINE" were "recycled" for "TIME ENOUGH TO LAST".

In fact, if you look closely at the rubble on the steps (in the TZ episode) you will notice an odd, tubular, coiled object in the wreckage; obviously, this was one of the "machines" seen in the Morlock's caverns in "THE TIME MACHINE"........Shocked

"NYO"

["H.G. Wells"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Check out this nostalgic and timeless (early 1960's) "Noo Yawk" scene from "THE TWILIGHT ZONE".

Here, note the Old Look (aka "The Bus With The Front Sign That Sticks Out!), Fishbowl, SURFACE Mack, and the ACF-BRILL IC-41 (among other interesting vehicles!) Wink

https://pics.imcdb.org/5217/5twil27a.jpg

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["Ride The Surface Way"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

This one is also for you! Wink

(42nd St. at its BEST!)

https://pics.imcdb.org/5217/5twil4a.jpg

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["CROSSTOWN"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B.:

Great trivia; no wonder the Ampitheatre steps from "THE TIME MACHINE" were "recycled" for "TIME ENOUGH TO LAST".

In fact, if you look closely at the rubble on the steps (in the TZ episode) you will notice an odd, tubular, coiled object in the wreckage; obviously, this was one of the "machines" seen in the Morlock's caverns in "THE TIME MACHINE"........Shocked

"NYO"

["H.G. Wells"]

Speaking of recycling movie props, how many films and TV show's was this guy used in?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robby_the_Robot
Smile
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Ahhh, our old robotic pal, Robby! Wink

He "guest starred" in so many vintage sci-fi flicks and TV shows, back in the day, he truly qualified as a "character actor!"

Back in the early 1960's, one of my older brothers, then in his early 20's, and Your's Truly (at a VERY tender age!) went to our local "SUMMIT" theatre (on Summit Avenue) to see the re-release of "Forbidden Planet" (IMHO, the BEST scenes featured "Robby")

Not long after, my brother surprised me with a battery-operated tin robot, that, clearly was "Robby"; I had a LOT of fun with him for years, but, sadly, was lost in a move over 50 years ago. Sad

I also remember seeing him a few times in the campy "Lost In Space" series; I also had the REMCO "Lost In Space" robot, and had great fun creating "adventures" for "Robot" and "Robby" (recall, also, in "Lost In Space", how young Will Robinson always pronounced "robot" as "robut"?)

Back in the 50's and 60's, numerous Japanese toy makers turned out countless toy robots in endless variations (just like the tin litho buses that were once made in great profusion!) Very Happy

Robot/space toys, in general, were VERY popular, back in the 50's, and well into the 60's!

Ahhh, the memories! Wink

"NYO"

["Long Live Robby!"]

BTW:

The word "robot" was used in a great many vintage Japanese "action" toys, back in those days; the largest I have is the "ROBOT BUS", which is mechanical and features "mystery action" (this cool bus was made by the old "WOODHAVEN METAL STAMPING CO." of Brooklyn)

This was a typical "generic" 1950's-era toy bus; on the sides, it reads:

"SEATS 44/STANDS 22"

I purchased mine from a little rinky-dinky, hole-in-the-wall antique toy shop (now long gone) in upper Manhattan, back in 1985, for the grand sum of $15.00!Wink

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat May 28, 2022 12:48 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another classic "TZ" episode (from 1962) "CAVENDER IS COMING", there is a hilarious scene where a young Carol Burnett is riding a Fishbowl on her way home from work, when she encounters an old gentleman who says he is her "guardian angel"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavender_Is_Coming

This was one of the few "TZ" episodes that was "comedic" in content.

This episode, IMHO, is MOST ironic, given the fact that Carol (in her excellent, best-selling memoir "ONE MORE TIME") reveals that, from the time she was growing up in Hollywood (and into adulthood) she ALWAYS got bus sick!!! Shocked

In the book, she and her wonderfully eccentric grandmother "Nanny", back in the 1940's, were always on and off buses; in later years, Carol rode both buses and the "Red Car" to Hollywood High and UCLA........

"NYO"

["LAMTA"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat May 28, 2022 12:14 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the early years of her decades-long career, seeing a young Miss Burnett aboard a city bus was NOT an everyday sight, by any means.....(!!) Shocked Cool

https://www.sharetv.com/shows/the_twilight_zone_1959/episodes/394097
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several great scenes on this page from the aforementioned "TZ" episode with Carol Burnett; the Fishbowl was part of the Culver City fleet, and was also used in another "TZ" episode (with the great Lee Marvin) "STEEL".......

www.busesonscreen.net/screen/index.php?p=screentv.tvt.twizone59
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO--speaking of TZ...I'll wager that this is your favorite one... Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITusMLbZ0dI

It is mine... Smile
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that TZ made its debut within the exact same time period the first Fishbowls were being produced and introduced onto city streets, highways, and so on.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NYO--speaking of TZ...I'll wager that this is your favorite one... Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITusMLbZ0dI

It is mine... Smile

traildriver:

Though never a "rising young businessman", nor a married man, you have no idea how much I identified with "Gart Williams"; I have several "TZ" episodes that I regard as my "Top Favorites" and this episode is right up there.

How many times I'd just feel as though I had enough of "the real world" and would be aboard either the subway or the "Tubes" and have the lights in the car go out for several seconds, only to come back on and find myself in a vintage car that I knew from my childhood, complete with vintage car car ads and the other passengers dressed in early 1960's "commuter" styles.

Then, go up from the station and onto the street at my stop, and I find that it's 1962 again (GOTTA ride those Old Looks, Whites, MACKS, and BRILLS!) Very Happy

Seriously, I think that this was a VERY profound, haunting, and touching episode; how many times I thought about playing "Gart Williams" in a remake of this episode. I also could easily identify with the book-loving, bespectacled "Mr. Bemis" in "TIME ENOUGH TO LAST".

When this episode was filmed, recall that the newest NYCRR commuter cars were the St. Louis and P-S MU's; on the NH, the "Washboards".

This was still an era when the commuters all looked like vast armies of suit-and-tie warriors, heading to the corporate "battlefield" each day (recall "The Man In The Gray Flannel Suit", with its classic rush hour and New Haven scenes?)

These days, very few commuters dress for work, and the massive rush hour crowds we all were so familiar with have drastically changed, since COVID and rising transit crime.

Ahhh, reality. Sad

My other favorite "TZ" episodes:

"THE MIDNIGHT SUN" (this episode recall the powerful 1961 British sci-fi epic, "THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE")

""STEEL"

"TIME ENOUGH TO LAST"

"ONE MORE PALLBEARER"

"THE HITCH-HIKER" (THIS was a HAUNTING episode!)

"NIGHTMARE AT 20,000 FEET" (NOT to be watched by ANYONE about to board a plane in the near future!)*

Actually, there are so many great episodes that I rate top-notch.....GREAT ACTING, GREAT storylines.......Mr. Serling, from beyond the "Twilight Zone"........THANK YOU for stimulating both our imaginations and allowing us, each week, to venture into an unchartered galaxy of mind, matter, and thought! Wink

"NYO"

*I've read that, from the outside, the airliner in this episode appeared to be a twin-engined CONVAIR, but, from the inside of the cabin, it could have either been a DC-6 or a DC-7..........

["Next stop, Willoughby!"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun May 29, 2022 1:54 am; edited 6 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 27 of 70

Jump to: