BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recalling the long-defunct intercity operators.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Chicago-Rockford........

One of the only two prime-time sitcoms I watch (this one is set in a fictitional Illinois town, about an hour out of Chicago) has mentioned Rockford many times over the years.

Am curious if GREYHOUND (and TRAILWAYS) ran between Chicago and Rockford (does GREYHOUND served Rockford today?

I'm sure, back in the old days, there were alsp private carriers than offered service between these two locations.....

"NYO"

["Rockford Express"]

Rockford used to be on Northland Greyhound's line from Chicago to Dubuque, IA and beyond, along US-20. They also ran some trips to Madison WI and beyond via Rockford.

The north central states were never strong area for Trailways carrier's. IIRC, at one time, the Peoria Rockford Coaches Co. had been a Trailways member, and served Rockford on a roundabout route that started in Milwaukee, and ended in Peoria.

Nowadays, this is the way to bus from Chicago to Rockford...
https://www.coachusa.com/fares?originFareZone=CHCG&destinationFareZone=RCKF&operatorCode=VGB&partner_code=CUSA&isSchedule=true
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always interesting, thinking of "long-haul" bus routes, between cities, operated by local" outfits.........

Think of some "suburban" companies and the longest of their "commuter" routes:

SUBURBAN

DE CAMP

SOMERSET

NORTHEAST

LAKELAND

Back in the day, the two latter companies connected New York with the Great Gorge/Sussex areas; I know that Sussex (I have a cousin who lives there) is not far from High Point, which, in turn, is near Port Jervis, nearly 90 miles out of the city.

Some companies (such as DE CAMP) used their newest parlor coaches on the longest of their commuter runs, in addition to charters.

According to a 1973 NORTHEAST tt I have in my collection, there was also a "branch" route to Branchville (recall, the E-L also ran commuter trains on the Sussex Branch [ex-DL&W] until late 1966, to and from Hoboken)......

"NYO"

["Northeast Coach Lines"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "long-haul" suburban company was "MOHAWK" (company offices were in Little Ferry, NJ)

These buses also served (out of the PABT):

HAVERSTRAW

BEAR MOUNTAIN

BEACON

POUGHKEEPSIE

NEW HYDE PARK

(this company also once operated ACF-BRILL C-44 suburbans)

Passengers were requested to purchase tickets before "going down to bus level". from Windows 16-17-18 (Main Concourse")

NY telephone: WIsconsin 7-5550

{"Ride The Blue Coach"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In discussing "long-haul" operations carrying commuters into New York, MARTZ also comes to mind.

Recall, with no rail link to New York after the E-L abandoned its last through trains to Hoboken in 1970, any "long distance" commuter (who did not wish to drive) would have used MARTZ buses.

Their 4104's and 4106's, as examples, were, of course, "highway coaches", but like those of other "suburban" companies, were also used in longer commuter runs.

A number of NJ points were served (areas once served by the DL&W and the CNJ)

Of course, during the height of COVID, think of how many such operations were either drastically curtailed or shut down altogether.

IMHO, I think that, then, many realized just how important such "long-haul/short-haul" bus routes were.........

"NYO"

["MARTZ-Your Easy Chair To Anywhere!"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In discussing "long-haul" operations carrying commuters into New York, MARTZ also comes to mind.

Recall, with no rail link to New York after the E-L abandoned its last through trains to Hoboken in 1970, any "long distance" commuter (who did not wish to drive) would have used MARTZ buses.

Their 4104's and 4106's, as examples, were, of course, "highway coaches", but like those of other "suburban" companies, were also used in longer commuter runs.

A number of NJ points were served (areas once served by the DL&W and the CNJ)

Of course, during the height of COVID, think of how many such operations were either drastically curtailed or shut down altogether.

IMHO, I think that, then, many realized just how important such "long-haul/short-haul" bus routes were.........

"NYO"

["MARTZ-Your Easy Chair To Anywhere!"]

Martz commuter's were 'spoiled' enjoying deluxe express Martz parlor coaches, that ran nonstop from Hackettstown to 'the Port'. They even could reserve their specific seat number. That was a pain in the rear for me when I sold tickets at the Trailways ticket plaza. The alternative was the much longer and probably cheaper local ride on Lakeland on suburban buses....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Thanks for this info; I was not aware of MARTZ commuters being so "pampered" Wink

From a 1959 MARTZ tt:

VACATION TIME, OR ANY TIME-

RIDE THE MARTZ LINES

THROUGH SERVICE

NO PARKING PROBLEMS

PICTURE WINDOWS

SIGHTSEEING

AIR RIDE

AIR-CONDITIONED BUSES WITH FULLY-EQUIPPED REST ROOMS

RESERVATIONS:

"......reservations are made on all coaches leaving, New York, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton, and Philadelphia. Reservations held until ten minutes before departure time from New York......"

"NYO"

["Ride The Martz Lines!"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a 1979 MARTZ TRAILWAYS tt,:

EXTRA HOLIDAY SERVICE!

".....in 1979, certain holidays fall on days other thanFriday and Sunday, and, therefore, Frank Martz Coach Company will operate Friday and/or Sunday service., for the convenience of the general public....."

There is also in this timetable an "ad block", showing an illustration of a liner/cruise ship, announcing:

"SERVICE TO NEW YORK PIERS" (by advanced reservation only)

In 1979, Newark was still being served (1171 Raymond Boulevard); by this late date,however, demolition of the old PS Terminal was already well underway......

"NYO"

["Martz: Your Easy Chair To Anywhere!"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From rear cover of 1959 MARTZ tt:

HOTEL DIXIE

700 ROOMS

EACH WITH:

BATH

SHOWER

TELEVISION

RADIO (most room air-conditioned)

(small illustration shows the rear of a bus entering the Hotel's bus terminal)

DAILY RATES:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIFY MARTZ BUS SCHEDULES FOR SWIFT-DEPENDABLE PACKAGE EXPRESS

SHIP BY BUS EXPRESS

"NYO"

["Ticket Windows 11 & 12"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEVER AGAIN will bus enthusiasts be able to savor the vast diversity and colorful vehicles depicted here in these timeless 1940's/1950's scenes from Winnipeg.

Seeing photos of classic buses such as these REALLY gets the ol' adrenaline flowing! Wink

THESE are REAL buses!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

https://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~wyatt/alltime/pics/winnipeg-commuterbuses.html
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREY GOOSE.......

www.busdrawings.com/coach/manitoba/greygoose/600.htm

(courtesy: busdrawings.com)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More "North 'o The Border" nostalgia.......Very Happy

www.busdrawings.com/Transit/manitoba/mtha/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this magnificent 1956 bi-level WESTERN FLYER.....talk about a RARE vehicle, indeed! Very Happy

www.busdrawings.com/Transit/manitoba/mtha/36/index.htm

["Western Flyer"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this magnificent 1956 bi-level WESTERN FLYER.....talk about a RARE vehicle, indeed! Very Happy

www.busdrawings.com/Transit/manitoba/mtha/36/index.htm

["Western Flyer"]

Great shots, thanks for posting!!

That coach reminds me so much of the one-of-a-kind ACF "Continental" in its appearance, although the ACF was built in 1949. The ACF also was equipped with a restroom, and had a larger rise between decks. This is more like a VistaLiner...

https://digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A253368/datastream/IMAGE/view
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREY GOOSE.......

www.busdrawings.com/coach/manitoba/greygoose/600.htm

I love that design...although it is very derivative of an MCI Challenger, it does not have that mid coach lack of a window. It appears to have the same windshield that I like, due to its smaller size, is more rugged, and resistance to being shattered by a large bird-strike. The upper part of the side windows provides for 'emergency' ventilation, while still providing a nice unobstructed lower 'picture' window. And aesthetically, the all slanted window lines look better than the combination of vertical and slanted lines common to MC-5, 6, 7, and early -8 designs. More like GM coach design.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/86/54/93/8654939cba1a841386236a148a3787ec--short-bus-buses.jpg
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I THOUGHT you might like the photos......you are most welcome:wink:

(thanks also for those your provided!)

Agreed; I also love that classic design ("GREY GOOSE")

My folks and I visited Canada twice (1966 and 1973) and i remember seeing PREVOSTS and WESTERN FLYERS for the first time; I thought they were QUITE exotic (and, it was love at first sight!) Very Happy

During our 1966 visit (this was a NYC weekend "package") I also saw a number of CLIPPERS and VISICOACHES (one very congenial, dapper driver talked to Your's Truly about his sleek, streamlined charge for a few moments....what a thrill to a certain 9 year-old kid from "Noo Joisey"!) Wink

Of course, Mom and I visited the busy UNION BUS TERMINAL (some interesting sites!)

On our 1973 excursion (CASSER TOURS/PARKER TOURS) I also had my first journey on a "Buffalo"!

On this trip (I took some bus photos in Albany during our lunch stop!) we had an overnight stay in Ottawa (in front of our hotel, I took a few snaps of a really sharp-looking Flex "AIRPORTER" anf a few Old Looks.

In Montreal, as soon as I saw the BRILLS, I KNEW we had to take a ride (or two, or three!); the familiar BRILLS had disappeared from our area about 1967/1968, so, it was pretty much like an "old home day", of sorts! Very Happy

The first PREVOST I ever saw "south of the border" were the ones purchased by SOMERSET in the late 1960's; I always wondered why more New Jersey suburban operators did not purchase them;interestingly, SOMERSET, in fact, was the first domestic company to purchase the CHAMPION.

To this day, what still sticks out in my mind about the 1950's-era "Canadian Cruisers" (my moniker!) that really caught my young eyes were those with those distinctive, high-set rear windows (I have in my collection a small mechanical GREYHOUND bus that features those SAME high-set windows! Shocked

Oh, Canada! Wink

"NYO"

["GREY GOOSE LINES"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu May 26, 2022 4:25 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 20 of 78

Jump to: