BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The New York "bit players" we tend to ignore......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 1950's and through the 1960's, tin friction/battery buses from Japan were commonplace and inexpensive; there were many airport buses available at that time, many carrying the logos of different airlines.

I have a number in my collection today.

I also have several tin friction Fishbowls in my collection (these buses were also available for GREYHOUND, TRAILWAYS, SIGHTSEEING, and in other liveries); these were part of an "airport" series, which I have in my collection today, I currently have:

TWA

EASTERN

UNITED

KLM

These are getting harder to find these days (and also, more expensive) MARX also made a smaller-size tin friction airport bus, that was part of its circa-1960 "International Jetport" play sets; this bus was also available separately (found in 5 & 10's), as was the same bus, but lettered:

"CONTINENTAL BUS" (paint was the same as the "Airport" version, somewhat reminiscent of PSNJ gray)

Many other airline/airport vehicles were also available during those years, including vans, jeeps, and service trucks.

All are highly collectible today, as are the vintage toy airliners themselves.

Yesterday's commonplace becoming today's valuable treasures.......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an excellent page (w/many photos) of the MARX airport playsets of the early 60's; there is also a nice photo of the neat little airport bus I just mentioned.

Also note the toy airliners (prop and prop-jet), as well as the colorful buildings, vehicles, and many other accessories.

MARX playsets such as these command astronomical prices these days, even if incomplete.

The airport sets themselves make for a nostalgic look back at airline travel, 60-odd years ago......

https://www.marxwildwest.com/airports.html
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt sold in those days at local area Lamston's (such as across from the PABT at Ninth Avenue between 40th and 41st) or Woolworth's or Mays or Macy's.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
No doubt sold in those days at local area Lamston's (such as across from the PABT at Ninth Avenue between 40th and 41st) or Woolworth's or Mays or Macy's.

W.B.:

Back in those days, you also had KRESS, KRESGE, J.O. GRAND, GRANT'S, and FISCHER-BEER.

All were treasure troves, when it came to huge selections of tin-litho toys (some of which could be purchased for a mere 15 cents...Your's Truly remembers!) Wink

Most mom-and-pop candy stores also sold tin-litho toy vehicle.

Airiners, too, were commonplace toys back then; thee ranged from tiny, 3" versions to HUGE, highly-detailed battery operated models that had working engines, flashing lights, and many other innovative functions.

TWA and PAN AM were quite commonplace in the toy airliner market, as were EASTERN, UNITED, NORTHWEST, NATIONAL, and many others.

These handsome, colorful toys are getting more and more pricey with each passing year; I'm MORE than grateful for what I've had in my collection for many years.

I have a LARGE (and impressive!) TWA Connie (made by a German toy firm "TIPPCO" that was given to me by a co-worker's dad, who had been a TWA navigator, way back in the day.

It is so detailed it almost is a scale model!

One of the rarest I have is a tin UNITED "Caravelle", dating to the mid-60's; also, an early "Comet".

Beautiful and notsalgic pieces, all........ Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....speaking of the vintage tin-litho toys of 60-odd years back, I mit mention a bus (early 60's) that is quite unusual, if only for the slogan it carries.

It is best described as a "generic", transit-style Japanese tin-litho friction bus (about 12" long) that, over the windows, bears the immortal legend;

"GO THE MOTOR COACH WAY"

The bus itself is red, white, and blue.

To date, this is the only Japanese tin-litho bus that I've seen emblazoned with the "MOTOR COACH" legend; I purchased it back around 1995 for a mere $15 at a long-gone antique shop! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......don't forget, the once-commonplace gift shops in airport concourse also sold a number of transportation toys, back in the day, especially those that were airline related.

I have several small tin-litho airliners purchased back in the 60's from the gift shop at the old Newark Airport; all are jets, except for one DC-7C (this was always kept as a "souveneir" from Day One, and is still in its plastic bag (w/cardboard tag)

It still bears the stamped-on price (39 cents!) Very Happy

Not long ago, on eBay, I saw a magnificent battery-operated Lockheed ELECTRA (EASTERN) that was still in working order, and had the original box (as it was going for $1400, this beautiful toy was never going to be a part of my collection....oh, well!)

Ahhh, memories.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the early 1960's, Your's Truly (who, btw, was MUCH younger then!) received this IMPRESSIVE (and HUGE) airliner toy (made in "Joisey", no less!), REMCO's "FLYING FOX" prop-jet (clearly an ELECTRA)

Had a LOT of fun with this one, imagining taking off and landing at Newark! Very Happy

Sadly, it disappeared over the years (vanishing somewhere into the wild blue yonder, I guess) Sad

If you find one of these sharp, highly-collectible toys for sale today, be prepared to shell out BIG $$$$$$$.........

https://knoji.com/article/remcos-flying-fox-collectible-airplane-toy/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1968, REMCO came out with another cool commercial aviation toy:

"VOICE CONTROL KENNEDY AIRPORT* Wink

https://vintageairliners.com/remco-voice-control-kennedy-airport-1968/

*A little nod to NY AIRWAYS, here, as well! Very Happy

(also, note the vintage airline-themed board games!) Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY, VERY PRICEY these days (that is, WHEN you can come across one of these for sale!) the ALPS company (this was a HUGE Japanese manufacturer of tin toys, back in the 1950's and 1960's) offered this beautiful battery operated NY AIRWAYS helicopter.....

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/168110998565131030/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"SEE THE USA THE PAN AM & GREYHOUND WAY"

Normally, a SCENICRUISER would not be seen out on the tarmac, alongside a 707......(!!) Shocked

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/403775922819625756/
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

Normally, a SCENICRUISER would not be seen out on the tarmac, alongside a 707......(!!) Shocked

IIRC, that was part of a joint promotion, when they shipped a Scenicruiser over to Europe for a marketing tour. Not sure if that was the actual one they shipped over…
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redacted duplicate post
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

IIRC, that was part of a joint promotion, when they shipped a Scenicruiser over to Europe for a marketing tour. Not sure if that was the actual one they shipped over…

traildriver:

In 1961, EASTERN GREYHOUND LINES #4374 was shipped to Europe, and then began a long trek that took it to several countries.

This bus visited 13 major cities, including London, Amsterdam, Berlin, Rome, and Paris.

The bus was accompanied by GREYHOUND drivers, PAN AM stewardesses, and US GOVERNMENT officials from the Department of Immigration.

Also on board were colorful figures from American history, including cowboys, forest rangers, and Native Americans........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

........speaking of SCENICRUISERS posing alongside an airliner, in "GREYHOUND SCENICRUISER" (McNALLY/RAYMAN), there is a beautiful photo showing SGL's (SOUTHWESTERN GREYHOUND) first SCENICRUIER (#S-100) posed alongside an AMERICAN AIRLINES DC-6 at the Amon Carter Airport at Fort Worth.......

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, for comparison and contrast, is Delta's Times Square ad, circa 1975. The two zippers were created for the TWA "spectacular" nearly 20 years before. By contrast, Delta's didn't seem all that "spectacular":

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/view-with-pedestrians-and-vehicular-traffic-looking-south-news-photo/1187220748
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 29 of 60

Jump to: