BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memories Of The "Friendly Skies"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Thanks for the link! Wink

I still recall my dad referring to the new Concorde as "Rodan"! Rolling Eyes

Even today, when one sees photos of the SST, it still carries the distinct air of the future; then again, I'm sure that folks of the late 1940's thought much the same when they first saw the now-legendary 377 "Stratocruiser", which, truly, was quite futuristic in its day (those operated by NORTHWEST and PAN AMERICAN are still my faves!) Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....speaking of the legendary "Strat", a 1958 "Dennis The Menace" comic book, "Dennis in Hawaaii", features VERY realistic depictions of a PAN AMERICAN Stratocruiser; the cockpit "panorama" panel was QUITE impressive!!! Very Happy

Too bad none of these magnificent craft survives today. Crying or Very sad

Nancy Sinatra (in her teen years) recalled flying aboard a BOAC "Strat" with her dad; she referred to the plane as a "big bellied Stratocruiser".......an apt description, I would say....... Wink

If I am correct, didn't NORTHWEST replace thier 377's with L-188 Electras?

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Into the 1980's, one lone ex-NORTHWEST Stratocruiser reposed at Tucson, being used for "Guppy" spares.

Later, the tail was cut off, and the once-proud airliner became a repository for spare parts. Sad

What a shame that not even one of thee historic propliners exists today......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more of a shame...not even one Boeing 314 "Clipper's" was saved, although I've read about a full-scale reproduction in an Ireland museum....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I could not agree more; just imagine if one of those magnificent craft was on exhibit today....indeed, it would be a show-stopper! Shocked

A great book I can recommend (on a related note) is "HOWARD HUGHES AND HIS FLYING BOAT" (Charles Barton); many rare photos grace the pages, and there is much in the way of fascinating historical information here.

Just imagine what commercial air-travel in the postwar years might have been like, had the "flying boat" concept had been revived......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "SKYTRUCK" (1984) there is an excellent photo of a rare Sikorsky VS-44s, that was then undergoing restoration for static display at a Connecticut museum.

At the time of publication, two other craft was in existence.

A most IMPRESSIVE craft, for sure! Wink

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend, best-selling author Ken Follett's thriller, "Night Over Water", with a highly detailed description of a Boeing 314 Clipper on a flight from England to New York, including a nice cabin diagram....

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Over-Water-Ken-Follett/dp/0451173139
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Thanks....I HAVE to get a copy of this book for myself...sounds like a great read! Wink

I've long been interested in flying boats and amphibians......CHALK'S and ANTILLES AIR BOATS operated some nice-looking craft, back in the day...... Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......was watching the dramatic (and frightening) air evacuation from Afghan on the news; the mobs chasing a US AIR FORCE B-17 down a runway, with people actually clinging to the landing gear and wings, hoping to escape, was indeed beyond scary.

With all commercial flights now suspended, carriers like El Al and GULF must be now feeling the affect.

Those poor people; even the jetway landing aprons were covered with mobs, trying to board flights.....truly frightening.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this date in 1991, PAN AM flew its last flight, after 64 years of a rich, dynamic, and colorful history.

The last scheduled flight was flown by a 727, between Barbados and Miami; interestingly, very last last ex-PAN AM 747 was retired only last month.

Us older fellows can still clearly remember the PAN AM building, when it STILL WAS The PAN AM building (with NY AIRWAYS 'copters landing on the roof!) and the magnificence of a sleek 707, resplendent in classic 1960's PAM livery.

Ahhh, those were indeed the days.....never thought that the once-mighty PAN AM would ever be relegated to "fallen flag" status..... Sad

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus and airline nostalgia at JFK, 1980............

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153482

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154918

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"196 FLIGHTS in 21 DAYS" ($150, 1966)

www.dhc-2.com/Stateside_66.html

I was VERY lucky indeed to come across this STUNNING collection of 1966-era airline photos; the interior and exterior photos showing the interior of the TWA terminal at JFK are priceless (a NICE close-up of the SOLARI board, as a bonus!) Very Happy

So many vintage aircraft (many representing fallen flag carriers) are here, resplendent in their now-classic paint schemes.

There are also a number of NY AIRWAYS* photos here as well, also, stunning views of the NY skyline (how much has changed, over the decades!)

This wonderful collection of vintage photos are is a "must" for any "classic era: civil aviation buff........Happy Landings! Very Happy

"NYO"

*One NY AIRWAY photo has the added bonus of an E-L tug and loaded carfloat in the background! Very Happy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The past few years (since the beginning of COVID) have not been kind to the airline industry.

There have internal glitches, flight cancellations, massive delays, staff shortages, as well as a host of other issues.

Recall, also, the grounding of the 737.

Though things have begin to revert back to pre-COVID normal (then again, WHAT constitutes "normal" these days?) I've head airline experts/executives on the news flatly state that the current situation is likely to be with us at least through to the end of 2023.

Then, too, how is this affecting aircraft maintenance, and the purchase of new airliners?

Indeed, the "Friendly Skies" have become far more more turbulent than they were back in the 1960's and 1970's.

It will be interesting, indeed, to see what transpires in the coming months.....

"NYO"

["FLY EASTERN'S PROP-JET ELECTRA"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a page with some interesting reading.....

https://explodingtopics.com/blog/airline-industry-trends
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Here's a page with some interesting reading.....

https://explodingtopics.com/blog/airline-industry-trends

Agreed! Lots of interesting speculation there.

One of the items discussed, was the development of new supersonic airliners.
I believe those developers ought to take a look-back into the 1950’s, and learn from history…
By this, I am referring to the saga of the Lockheed Electra (L-188) “prop-jet”, which was introduced into service just slightly ahead of the turbojet Boeing 707, Douglas DC-8, and Convair 880 trio, which immediately rendered the Electra “obsolete “.

Concurrent with the SST development are plans for HST “space planes”, capable of sub orbital flights in much less time than SST’s…

When these are put in service, the SST’s will be obsolete…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 36 of 39

Jump to: