BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

173 More MCIs for NJT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: 173 More MCIs for NJT Reply with quote

From NFI:
https://www.newflyer.com/2021/10/nfi-receives-orders-for-173-coaches-and-buses-from-new-jersey-transit/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this; just came across this today.

I still cannot believe that NJT has now been operating MCI's for 30-odd years now; at the time they debuted, I thought it odd that such big "highway"-type buses were being purchased, instead of the usual "suburban" types (I did not know at the time that neither GM or Flex were then building transit-type coaches)

I wonder what will be replacing the NABI's I see when I'm out and about (non-articulated New Flyers?); I know they have to be at least 15 years old, I remember when they decimtated my old Flex Metros.

I always liked MCI products; I well recall the DOMENICO MCI's I traveled on when taking a vacation, 30-some years back.

In my "nabe", I see NABI's and NF artics most of the time, with MCI's usually during rush hours on the #159/#159R.

That NJT is able to by new buses these days, between the COVID and everything else going on, is a breath of fresh air, at least to Your's Truly..... Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few pics......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?157345

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?157350

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156590

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.........one thing I always wondered about is why NJT never purchased any PREVOSTS; back in the 1990's, I can remember ACADEMY operating PREVOSTS (Model H3-40/H3-41/H3-45's)

The first arrived on ACADEMY property in 1992.

The only PREVOSTS that NJT operated were the ex-SOMERSET buses ("CHAMPIONS"), back in the 1980's.

Back to NJT and the MCI's.......

In the later 80's, NJT had 700 MC-9's built; these buses were easy to identify because of their destination signs, which were built into the bodies ("Jersey Cruisers")........

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
.........one thing I always wondered about is why NJT never purchased any PREVOSTS

"NYO"

Probably because at that time, MCI had gone after the government transit market with specially modified models that were suited for suburban mass transit, while Prevost had not yet done so.
Academy used their Prevost's in charter, not commuter services.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Yes, you are right about that; the PREVOST coaches operated by ACADEMY were not used in commuter service (after glimpsing one once, many long years ago, Mom commented that it looked like an "English lorry"!) Shocked

The only PREVOSTS I recall seeing were those CHAMPIONS that were operated by SOMERSET, and were operated by NJT into the 1980's.

Of course, when my folks and I visited Canada back in 1966 and, again, in 1973, I recall seeing quite a few PREVOSTS; I remember thinking they looked quite "exotic"!Wink

I also remember older models that clearly were inspired by Flex VISICOACHES and AIRPORTERS........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recalling the handsome Prevost "CHAMPIONS"; interestingly, these PREVOSTS sold (four in total) "south-of-the-border" to a US company (SOMERSET)

I believe these new buses might have replaced the last ACF-BRILLS, in the late 1960's....

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154518 *

*(This photo shows #9111 crossing the Canadian/US border, en route to SOMERSET; this small order led the way for more American companies to purchase PREVOST coaches)

See also:

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154522

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prevost TS-47 called itself the "Champion", as a dig at its contemporary competitor, the MCI MC-7 "Challenger". The styling was similar, although the Prevost may have beaten MCI into service.

I recall that Somerset Bus Co., was the US importer and distributor for Prevost, until Prevost opened their own facilities around the US, much later, when they really expanded their US market share. Sort of like how ABC Bus is the distributor for the Van Hool buses.

BTW, Van Hool is really expanding its market share of coach buses in the US. I wonder if they will ever build a plant over here, in order to go after the commuter government market...there coaches are considerably lower priced than MCI and Prevost, but they are mainly built in Belgium, so can't currently satisfy the US content...
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on Prevost...

I believe Prevost really started expanding their US market, concurrent with the demise of the Eagle Bus manufacturing...Prevost sort of filled the vacuum that created, especially in the custom motorhome conversion business.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
More on Prevost...

I believe Prevost really started expanding their US market, concurrent with the demise of the Eagle Bus manufacturing...Prevost sort of filled the vacuum that created, especially in the custom motorhome conversion business.

traildriver:

The following is from "PREVOST BUSES" , by William A.Luke, 2002:

".....the 'Champion' was greeted with high interest, including that of bus operators in the United States. Prior to this time, Prevost buses were only marketed in Canada...."

"........in the interest in the United States was great enough that a sales and service network was established. The first sales and service facility to open in the United States was in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. SOMERSET BUS COMPANY of Mountainside, New Jersey, was the first American company to acquire new Prevost coaches....."

"......the bus industry in Canada and the United States was then experiencing a growth in bus tourism. Many companies were emerging, and were devoted to only operating tours. Regular-route companies were also devoting more attention to tourism....."

"NYO"

"......
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver wrote:
More on Prevost...

traildriver:

The following is from "PREVOST BUSES" , by William A.Luke, 2002:

".....the 'Champion' was greeted with high interest, including that of bus operators in the United States. Prior to this time, Prevost buses were only marketed in Canada...."

"........in the interest in the United States was great enough that a sales and service network was established. The first sales and service facility to open in the United States was in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. SOMERSET BUS COMPANY of Mountainside, New Jersey, was the first American company to acquire new Prevost coaches....."

"......the bus industry in Canada and the United States was then experiencing a growth in bus tourism. Many companies were emerging, and were devoted to only operating tours. Regular-route companies were also devoting more attention to tourism....."

"NYO"

"......
I could be wrong, but Somerset started as a distributor around 1967 or 8. I believe the Lyndhurst facility did not open until much later...
The Lyndhurst facility (I used to bring ADT buses there for factory service), itself closed, and moved to South Plainfield....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

On this point, your guess is as good as mine.

I could be totally wrong, but I believe that these several "CHAMPIONS" were purchased by SOMERSET to replace the last ACF-BRILL C-44's.

I can remember glimpsing them either at the PABT or the "tunnel cuts" in Union City (leading to S-3) and thinking they looked more like GREYHOUND buses than the usual "run-of-the-mill" suburban buses typical of that era; they certainly stood out among all the GM products! Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of interest:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevost_Car
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Coach_Industries
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: