BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baseball buses/rapid transit (then and now)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

This atmospheric old photo has long been one of my all-time favorite "Noo Yawk" bus photos; so much has vanished since....the Flexie, the original stadium........too, think of how many of the "Bombers" then playing have since "retired" to that big bullpen in the sky. Sad

Photos like this truly help to keep the "good old days" alive.......thanks again for sharing this great old view...... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being part German, Your's Truly is VERY supersticious......WHAT the devil is happening to The Amazin' Mets the past few weeks........?? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

"NYO"

(It's been a VERY rough ride for Mets fans, as of late) Sad Sad Sad Sad
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, more specifically, what hasn't happened? One - but only one - reason can be found in two words: Jacob DeGrom.

But there seems to have always been this truism about the New York baseball teams since the Mets first played in 1962: Whenever one team is doing well, the other isn't. (I speak of the parallel rise from the ashes of the Yankees.)

Think of 1969 when the Mets won the World Series, but the Yanks - then owned by CBS - were still in the wilderness, on the outside looking in (not to mention, that year, Mantle officially retiring). Similar in 1986 when the Mets last brought home a World Championship.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

You make a great deal of sense; I had not thought of the situation that way; not long ago, the Mets seemed to be on quite a roll, while the Yanks seemed be hitting a rough patch.

Sure hope that The Amazins start WINNING again; "Mr Met" must be at wits end, these past few weeks...... Shocked

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....I am sure that Your's Truly is not the only Mets fan to wish we could turn the clock back to 1969! Wink

Just curious as to how many of the '69 Mets are still with us today?

(it's also fun to think of "old time" Mets riding the buses and the subways, in the days before they became big-league guys, back in the day!)

I've read that, way, way back, it was not uncommon to see one of the Brooklyn Dodgers aboard the BMT........ Very Happy

"NYO"
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art Shamsky, Cleon Jones, Ron Swaboda (sp?) from the outfield.

Ed Kranepool, Al Weis (I belive) , Bud Harrelson and Waynne Garret from the infield.

Jerry Koosman and Gary Gentry from the pitcher's mound.

There are others I am sure, but this list was off the top of my head.

Can anyone else help me out
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus:

Remember on "EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND", Robert's favorite Met was Art Shamsky (he even named his bulldog "Shamsky"!) Wink

Tonight, The Amazins FINALLY ended their five-game losing streak!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

"GO METS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......can't wait to watch the two-disc DVD set I just received in the mail today: "THE NEW YORK METS COLLECTION"

FIRST off, I gotta watch the feature:

"THE GREATEST SEASON: 69 MIRACLE METS"!!!! Very Happy

THAT's gonna be fun......ahhh, to turn back the hands of time! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few "tidbits" from the aforementioned DVD on the '69 Mets:

Large billboard at Shea: "PLYMOUTH-THE OFFICIAL CAR OF THE METS"

Some interesting "quotes" on the Mets' early days:

"....the clown princes of baseball....."

".....if there's a way to lose a game, the Mets will find it...."

"......the 'lovable losers'......."

A large group of Mets fans (at Shea, for that big day in 1969) are seen holding a large banner reading:

"1969: The Year The Mets Will Put a pennant on the Moon!"

Suddenly, it seemed that just about everyone, even non-baseball fans, were enamored with the Mets; for awhile, the Amazin's gave the public a much-needed lift from all the grim news in Vietnam.

Watching these DVDs, you truly find yourself with an even deeper respect of the late, great, Gil Hodges, who left us at far too young an age.

A true legend.

The close friendships formed, the tight camaraderie, truly made these guys from all walks of life "everyday heroes"........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

".....in the early days, before the days of million dollar salaries, baseball players regularly rode the subways to and from the stadiums.........."

".....the Yankees rode the IRT, while Brooklyn Dodgers players used the BMT trains (and streetcars) in Brooklyn.

In this book, there is also a rare old photo of a plate on an IRT signal, reading:

""BALL-GAME STOP"

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....well, it's obvious that the Mets are on ANOTHER losing streak (they lost AGAIN today) and have not won a game since last Wednesday, when they snapped their losing streak. Crying or Very sad

The Bombers, however, having been enjoying multiple wins, as of late......too bad the Amazins could not be doing likewise. Sad

The Mets are indeed the "lovable losers"....while it can be VERY frustrating to be a Mets fan at times, somehow,......your loyalty to the team remains, while you await happier days to come, out on the field....... Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY...........a MIRACLE for the "MIRACLE METS"!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The Amazins beat the Dodgers 7/2........."GO METS!!" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAVE to share this wild dream I had last night.....

I dreamed I was on FACCo Old Look #3100 somewhere in Manhattan, and, across the aisle from me, is the late, great Tom Seaver (in his old Mets uniform!); he starts talking to me, and says, "What the %#@! going on with the Mets these days?" I replied: "I sure as hell don't know.....ask Mr. Hodges!"

To which Tom replies, "Hell, no, he's out to lunch right now....let's go to the Transit Museum instead, I wanna check out those old IRTs!"

Yup, I DO have INTERESTING dreams..... Laughing

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....JEEPERS CREEPERS, NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

The Mets were SLAUGHTERED tonight out in San Francisco; they lost 8/ZIP.........WHEN WILL THE SLAUGHTER END?? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

The Yankees, on the other hand, have won something like 11 games in a row.......the Amazins, on the other hand, have been lucky to win one game in eight, these days. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

All I'm gonna say is....if the late, great Gil Hodges were still with us, we'd hear an explosion so LOUD, that they'd hear it as far away as Philadelphia. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Man, it's like the Mets have been under some sort of HEX this year; however, being a TRUE fan, Your's Truly is (still) remaining LOYAL to the "Clown Princes Of Baseball". Wink

Let's hope that SOME sort of MIRACLE comes along, one that will (finally!) help the Mets (AGAIN!) out of their slump.......

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parking lot behind Shea...

theoddcouple20.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.75 KB
 Viewed:  13830 Time(s)

theoddcouple20.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 2 of 49

Jump to: