BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farewell to "The Bolt"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
My memory can always be faulty. Recall the days before the Department of Traffic ruled New York City? The rule-maker was the Police Department. As a kid, I heard that the CHARTER destination sign was a result of the NYPD requiring it, so there would be no confusion with a franchised route bus.

Joe:

This is interesting; I was not familiar with this; I am reminded of the HUGE charter business PSNJ ran in the 50's and 60's; I can remember seeing at least several dozen PS Old Looks parking in one of the parking lots at the now-long-gone Palisades Amusement Park, back in the 1960's.......ahhh, those were the days...... Very Happy

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While PS was so big, and its name may have made it seem like a government owned transit authority, it was in fact, not...it was a subsidiary of the private electric and gas utility that is still in business. So there were no constraints against it performing charter's, unlike the NYCTA....

As a side note, my former "home" carrier, Queens Transit, while mainly a city franchise operator, did also operate some charter's, but on a very limited basis.
The same for the other private bus line franchise holder's in New York City...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

My late brother worked for PSE&G for 30 years, retiring in 1991.

A a kid, I used to LOVE seeing his FORD "Econoline" van sporting the SAME PS insignia as the buses! Wink

Even though PS generated its own juice, they had already taken a strong stance on rubber-tired transport by the mid-1930's....the streetcars and ASV's were already on borrowed time.....

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: