BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jerusalem's "PABT"/Desert Buses/Etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Thanks! Very Happy

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to know! Very Happy

Such "desert modified" MCI coaches would be ideal for those hot, oppressive, humid summer days in New Jersey and New York, when your bus is stuck in gridlocked traffic approaching the Lincoln Tunnel..... Wink

Thanks again! Smile

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As weather conditions can also get quite formidable "down under", I am sure these "GREYHOUND" buses have to be "hardy" enough to get the job done.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhound_Australia
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....the past couple of posts are now making me think of GREYHOUND buses (particularly those of the past), and if they ever suffered from heat-related issues, when traveling through areas like New Mexico, Arizona, etc........

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
.....the past couple of posts are now making me think of GREYHOUND buses (particularly those of the past), and if they ever suffered from heat-related issues, when traveling through areas like New Mexico, Arizona, etc........

"NYO"

I can't say from any actual knowledge, but all vehicles are subject to extra strain battling extreme temperatures. The key is to know that, and prepare for it, making sure that hoses, belts, and all parts of the cooling systems are in tip top shape, before venturing across the desert. Greyhound was a reputable company in the past, and I would think they would take all necessary precautions....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

As always, greatly appreciate your knowledgeable input! Wink

It would indeed seem most prudent (IMHO) to be sure to have some basic extra spares on hand (fan belts, etc.) in the unfortunate event a bus suffers some sort of mechanical issue due to the extreme heat, stalled in the middle of the "Arid Nothingness Of The Great American Desert Regions".

As the older Your's Truly gets, the less he can tolerate the heat and the humidity, and my first thought would be directed to an a/c failure, while traveling through a "hot zone".........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Awhile back, you mentioned the Jerusalem terminal, and how it was less than a pleasant experience.

Did you travel via any of the intercity coaches out of the terminal?

"NYO"

BTW:

What was the longest overseas bus/coach journey you've experienced to date?

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

Awhile back, you mentioned the Jerusalem terminal, and how it was less than a pleasant experience.

Did you travel via any of the intercity coaches out of the terminal?

"NYO"

BTW:

What was the longest overseas bus/coach journey you've experienced to date?

"NYO"

The experience was great, since I am always interested in buses and terminals and their operations...I was only commenting that the terminal itself was "a dump"....poorly designed, unless it was intended to be non-intuitive (does that sound familiar to PABT?)
Part of it may be that it was not built with good passenger flow in mind, but rather to inject as much retail opportunities as possible to tap that passenger flow. And not very 'fashionable' establishments...lots of 'dollar store' type, but then, they were catering to the type of clientele that utilized the space, so who am I to say?

My cruise landed at Haifa, and I rode the train to/from Tel Aviv. I did not ride any of the scheduled routes.
I did ride on a couple of tour buses...first day to Jerusalem and back, second day to see the remnants of the railway line that was intended to link Istanbul with Cairo. It would have linked three continents...Europe, Asia, and Africa.
I rode the cable car down to the grotto.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosh_HaNikra_grottoes#Cable_car
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Thanks for the clarification, here; it would seem that "low end" shops would appeal to both "locals" and economy-minded tourists.

As I have VERY little tolerance for high heat, I could never visit that part of the world; however, I DO greatly enjoy reading on the ancient history of that part of the world; hope you also got to experience the Suez Canal, another area that had always intrigued me.....

"NYO"

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suez_Canal
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO
I did transit the Suez on that cruise...from the air-conditioned comfort of the Insignia's "Horizon Lounge", in a lounge chair, ten decks up with a 270° panoramic view.
Sure beats a camel... Laughing Cool
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NYO
I did transit the Suez on that cruise...from the air-conditioned comfort of the Insignia's "Horizon Lounge", in a lounge chair, ten decks up with a 270° panoramic view.
Sure beats a camel... Laughing Cool

traildriver:

I am now reminded of an old National Geographic special on India, where an elderly, disabled, ex-London "RT" double-decker was being hauled back to the garage by an elephant(!!) Shocked

Talk about an eco-friendly "vehicle"...... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....in the highly-entertaining Disney live-action remake of "ALADDIN", there is a part where "Aladdin" asks "Genie" how, once he is transformed into "Prince Ali", how he can be conveyed in style back to the city of Agrabah.

Would have been cool had "Genie" conjured up a super-customized MCI, VAN HOOL, or MCI, heavily outfitted with all the glorious, regal trappings one would associated with "royalty"...... Wink

Heavy-duty air-conditioning would have been a MUST, for starters, and, also, lavish on-board refreshment service...... Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..........recall, how, not all that long ago, that the PABT was very much in the news?

There was quite a buzz about rebuilding and expanding the current facility, building a new terminal......so much in the news, and, now, that flood of media coverage has, for the most part, pretty much been stilled.

In fact, I haven't even really heard all that much about the PABT in regards to the new infrastructure bill being passed.

It will be interesting to see just how this bill will will affect the facility; too, what of the carriers that serve it?

Will there be further retreat, or, will we see any expansion of new services, or, perhaps, and new runs being added?

For the past few decades, we have heard much on the new rail link between Hoboken, NJ, and Scranton, PA, giving commuter rail access to the Poconos (last passenger service in this area, via the Erie-Lackawanna, ended in 1970)

We have heard so much of station site evaluations, routings, etc., and, according to reports and studies I have read, this rail link was supposed to be up and running years ago, and, to date, not even a bit of ground has been broken.

With the COVID virus that has run rampant the past two years, so much has gone haywire; transportation (all phases) was brutally hammered.

What will the future hold for the high way carriers?

What about service to the Pocono resort areas?

With so much unpredictability thee days, it is indeed difficult to even hazard guesses as to what the future will hold....not only for the highway carriers, but, also, the PABT itself....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....IF and WHEN a new PABT is built; IMHO, there would be no way that the Lincoln Tunnel (beyond gridlock at rush hours) would be able to handled the bus traffic heading to and from a new (or expanded) terminal.

I can envision a new bus-only tube(s) being built, but the cost would be astronomical; too, where would the new portals be, on both the Manhattan and Weehawken sides of the Hudson?

The Lincoln Tunnel is truly strangulated at rush hours; realistically, I cannot see these tubes handling any more traffic than they are already burdened with.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, it will be interesting to see just how much long-haul bus travel (that is, what remains of it) will fare during the next several years, given the ever-fluctuating COVID virus, political turmoil, funding, changing travel patterns, etc........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..........ever notice that, during very big holiday "getaway", the media always focuses on the airports and the highways?

AMTRAK is mentioned once in a blue moon here; but, buses, never.

Of course, most travelers either fly or drive nowadays, BUT, you KNOW that there are STILL some who take the BUS to travel during the holidays.

VERY occasionally, Penn Station will be briefly seen; the PABT, not at all.

IMHO, it shows just how "obscure" and out-of-fashion long-distance bus travel is these day, in the grand scheme of things.

Here's hoping that the long-haul companies (what remains of them) do some decent business, this 2021 holiday season (and, of course, a VERY happy, health, and SAFE Thanksgiving to one and all!) Wink

"NYO"

(As I had mentioned previously, it will be interesting to see just how much the long-haul carriers will do in 2022)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: