BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CNG to diesel-electric hybrid conversion possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DE60LF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: CNG to diesel-electric hybrid conversion possible? Reply with quote

I have wondered, is it possible for a CNG bus to be converted to a diesel-electric hybrid? I know that CNG buses can be converted to ultra-low sulfur diesel, however, is it possible to add a hybrid drivetrain to them?

I have heard that ABQ RIDE's Neoplan AN440 CNG buses have to be re-fueled every day. They are approaching their 12 year mark, which is considered the normal lifespan for today's transit buses. However, ABQ RIDE's top priority is to retire their TMC RTS buses from 1989. If it is possible to convert the Neoplans from CNG to diesel-electric hybrid, this will significantly extend the lives of the Neoplans and will save ABQ RIDE tons of money.

Does anyone have info on this?
The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely possible to convert CNG buses to diesel ones, as the Toronto Transit Commission did with some of its Orion V CNG buses.

A diesel-electric hybrid conversion is most likely possible, although it might be infeasible. ABQ RIDE's probably better off buying new diesel-electric hybrids to replace the AN440s, rather than converting them from CNG.

(Although if they did do that, then those would be the only hybrid AN440s in existence.)
DE60LF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Port of Authority wrote:
It's definitely possible to convert CNG buses to diesel ones, as the Toronto Transit Commission did with some of its Orion V CNG buses.

A diesel-electric hybrid conversion is most likely possible, although it might be infeasible. ABQ RIDE's probably better off buying new diesel-electric hybrids to replace the AN440s, rather than converting them from CNG.

(Although if they did do that, then those would be the only hybrid AN440s in existence.)

I have actually been hearing rumors that ABQ RIDE is looking into ordering 30 additional New Flyer DE40LFRs in addition to the 58 that have already been ordered. However, since ABQ RIDE operates 40 Neoplan AN440 CNGs, it won't be a one for one replacement. If ABQ RIDE orders additional buses, they may be used for expansion rather than as replacements.

Despite their age, ABQ RIDE's Neoplans still run very well. They actually outperform the Thomas/Dennis SLF200 CNGs that were delievered in 2001. Even if they are not converted to hybrids, I think they could endure for at least three to five more years. ABQ RIDE has been operating the TMC RTS buses for about 19 years now, and are being retired this year.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNG to diesel conversions are possible in part because a natural gas engine is still an internal combustion machine which supplies power to the axle through a traditional transmission. I would think that converting any existing bus equipped with a combustion powerplant to hybrid power would be complicated by the fact that hybrid buses use a specialized drive system that incorporates the use of electric motors, requiring the entire drive system to be replaced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: