BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GREYHOUND's West Coast Commuter Runs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Western United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I guess it IS true after all.......truth IS indeed STRANGER than fiction!Shocked

Talk about a COMEDOWN!!!!! Sad

Operating an MC-6 on a local route, such as you described, made about as much sense as using a standard rear-door transit coach on a run between New York and Chicago! Shocked

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When NJT began taking delivery of new MC coaches in the 80's, I had thought them far too big to be used as commuter coaches; in those pre-Internet days, I did not know that GM was no longer building suburban models (even the GM-built RTS was of a transit-design, only)

NJT had 700 MC-9's ("Jersey Cruisers") built at Pembina, all seating 49; no lavatories were included.

In 1987, NJT took delivery of 415 more, also from Pembina; at this late date, the once-large fleets of suburban "heritage" Fishbowls began to vanish rapidly.

A new era in suburban commuter buses had arrived......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was this model, produced from 1982 up until 1997, that extended the lifespan of the 'New Look' body..

https://www.google.com/search?q=gmc+classic+bus&sxsrf=ALeKk01hv4vdF-LpTmSVqWUNaC6PUS_4Hw:1595729874639&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=I6V0GXhnOHYWrM%252C6o_KDPa81t8B4M%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSBzXuEsfRH0T6qNjaFXoAH8uYrtQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi089aC7enqAhXRMd8KHWtfCS8Q_h0wA3oECBIQBg&biw=1920&bih=937#imgrc=I6V0GXhnOHYWrM
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, i coudn't post the wiki link on the gmc classic...kept getting the definition of 'classic' instead...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Western United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: