BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[NJ]When route signs look like destination signs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=

https://acbuscorp.com/company/[/quote]

Thanks for the link to the acbuscorp website, as it contained schedules and maps. I was surprised to see that Montgomery and West Side now operates the #33 Bergen Avenue, with weekday headways of 15 or 20 minutes. On Exchange Place routes, there seems to be some problem with access to property owned by Newport Mall. Maybe the van drivers find the buses block their way. On the other side of town, the 440 Shopper does loops, turns, and twists.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

You are welcome! Wink

Up here, many jitney vans display "NEWPORT" signs (the vans, I'm sad to say, far, far outnumber the NJT #159's) Sad

To get to Newport from here (via "traditional" public transit), one would have to either take a #159 bus to 48th St. in Union City, to board a HBLR train for Newport.

Or, via a slightly quicker way would be to take the #159 to Nungessers, and then take the NJT line that used to be the NHBL #1 to Journal Square, and then take catch a PATH tube train for the Mall.

Into the early 1980's, there was a rush-hour extension of the old PS #44 that ran beyond Nungessers to Palisades Junction; this line provided a "one seat" ride between my area and the Tubes at Journal Square.

I rode this rush hour line a number of times, many years ago; NJT axed this route too many years ago to count........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"DROGIN" was yet another outfit that had ties with the old, bygone Hudson County "indies"......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2301

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2302

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

Thought this might be of interest.....

http://www.usbusstation.com/new_jersey/hudson/bayonne_bus_routes.htm
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also*:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_vans_in_the_New_York_metropolitan_area

*Note photo of van in Union City heading to Newport Mall (there is also much interesting information on this page).........
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Dollar Van" link I posted in my previous post is quite interesting, and does provide quite a bit of interesting information on the vans and their operations (on both sides of the Hudson)......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been down to "The Square" in close to 20 years; I did not care for it then, and I'm sure I'd feel the same way today.

It is NOT the bustling, bus-filled, commercial, retail, and transportation hub that I grew up with, back in the 1960's.

One of the things I so clearly remember was the "starter's shack" on the north side of the "Boulevard Bridge", where a NHBL "starter" would ring an electric bell to tell a driver to close his doors and pull out.

This was particularly fun at PM rush hours, with the bell sounding seemingly every minute! (the NHBL #1's and #5's loaded here; the SHBL buses to Bayonne loaded on the Square itself, opposite the now-gone business block)

I still can remember seeing several NHBL buses awaiting their turns to load, once space was made available at the loading area (this was when you could still look down at the H&M/PATH and electrified PRR tracks down below)

This area is so totally rebuilt that it is totally unrecognizable, and actually, no longer exists, at the point where the NHBL's buses loaded.........it all seems like a hundred years ago, now......

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: