BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Florescent interior lighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT PHOTOS, as always....thanks for posting! (I recognized a few from the "WELCOME ABOARD THE GM NEW LOOK BUS" book that I've had in my bus library for several years now!)

I find it quite interesting that some MACKS had florescent lightning (certainly, none of the MACKS I grew up with here in New Jersey ever had them)

I know the postwar B&QT St. Louis trolley buses also had florescent lighting, which was QUITE "moderne" for that time!

In all the years I rode (and commuted) on Fishbowls, I always recall when a florescent tube was about to die out; it would sputter with a blue-ish tint to it.

A dead tube always gave the fixture itself a grimy, dirty look (I can't believe it's been 21 years now since I've ridden aboard a Fishbowl.....damn, where does time go?)

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that has always puzzled me is that, with few exceptions, all postwar BoT/NYCTA buses were equipped with incandescent lights, while all new subway cars (from 1948 onwards) all had florescent lighting.

As we have already discussed, it was not until the first order of Fishbowls in 1959 that florescent lighting became standard on ALL future bus orders.

While the last incandescent-lit buses were gone by the early 70's, incandescent-lit subway cars (the remaining prewar IND cars) remained in service until 1977.

Another oddity were the PRR/H&M "joint service" rapid transit cars (Class "K"/"MP-52") which, though air-conditioned and delivered in 1958, not only still utilized incandescent lighting, but also, the single-panel doors that had been used on the H&M since 1908.

And then, of course, you had suburban model Fishbowls that were equipped with incandescent lighting (recalling, too, small reading lights over the seats).......

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: