BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buses & Bikes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyberider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Buses & Bikes Reply with quote

http://metrorider.elhay.net/2008/01/03/suspicion-confirmed/

Suspicion Confirmed

MetroRiderLA

Posted by tykejohnson in Awareness, Opinion on January 3, 2008 at 3:05 pm Permalink Post to del.icio.us Add to Technorati

For some time I’ve been under the suspicion that bus drivers had a certain beef with bike riders boarding a bus, if not at least an annoyance for. There has never really been much indisputable evidence; I’ve never been slapped or spat upon or just plain passed (actually I have but I had no bike at the time). So without such hard evidence to prove my theory I figured it was just in my head. I make up a lot of things in my life. If I were to explain some of the neurosis in my head some might label me theoretically insane if not clinically. But I get by with boarding the bus as fast as I can and try to ignore the theoretical rays of hatred emitting from the bus driver’s eyes. Theoretical until last night that is.

After waiting a very modest five or so minutes for the wonderful new 728 to arrive I undid my helmet and got ready as she approached from Century Park East. The 728’s are all articulated so they come up on you fast and usually pull well ahead of the stop to make room for their ass end. Being a reg—and nervous about the whole bus driver hates me thing—I got well ahead of it so I wouldn’t be rushing up to the front and delay any boarding time. There were only four others boarding so if I were to miss a beat with my loading—catch a pedal on the rack, miss a tire in the back, whatever—it would most definitely be noticed.

So with precision I went through the motions like born in instinct. Like a lion taking down a gazelle. Drop rack. Lift and swing bike. Drop her in. Pull up bar. Lock it in. Jump to the left and step on the bus. No sweat broken. Breath held only slightly when I thought I was going to lose my grip on the locking bar. But alas, all went fluid and there I was showing my pass to the bus driver, and as I was showing him, he remarked on how fast I was. On how usually, bike riders are slow and delay the whole process. On how, “Whenever I see someone with a bike at the stop I always think how long its gonna take to board,” as if completely exhausted just thinking about bike riders boarding and getting all tangled up in the bike rack and losing precious seconds. Precious seconds that will make the bus late—because they’re ever on schedule, lolz—to the next destination.

And even with my mocking I was in fact somewhat flattered. I take a small bit of pride in my skill of boarding a bus because some people really are bad at it. It’s hard to imagine but it’s true. We’ve all ridden with and witnessed people that are simply bad at boarding a bus, though selfish might be more appropriate. They never have their pass out or if they don’t have a pass, never have the money ready, and we’ve all seen people with bikes who truly are terrible at loading their bike on. And as annoyed as I am by people who exit the bus from the front for no reason or who don’t have their money out and ready—get a pass—I’m equally annoyed by those who can’t navigate the bike rack, both getting it on and getting it off. Sure we all make some mishaps but it’s about as basic as it gets and watching someone struggle with it for a minute and more is absurd and like the bus driver expressed in his voice, exhausting. So even though the buses never really run on time I agree in that there’s no reason to make it delayed anymore.

So to all bike riders out there, figure it out so we can rid us all of those rays of hatred, which for at least one guy, do exist. And an extra tip from the driver; the doors and mirror combo on articulated buses are, “as big as a house,” so make sure to inform them of when you’re getting off so they know that some one is jumping in front of the bus. “You don’t want to get run over do you?”
Cyberider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a lifelong bike rider who doesn't take the bike on the bus, I have a slightly different fear that bus drivers might not appreciate bike riders. The reason being that a bike and a bus often travel at about the same average speed over a route and if we both happen to be in the same area, we are constantly passing and re-passing each other and generally being a nuisance to each other unintentionally.

How about it, bus drivers? What do you think about cyclists and why? Granted, there are a lot of bad cyclists out there but what about the two situations mentioned?
RailBus63

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't care for the writer's crack about 'precious seconds that will make the bus late—because they’re ever on schedule, lolz—to the next destination'. How do they think a bus ends up behind schedule?

Maybe - just maybe - slow-boarding riders have something to do with it. Rolling Eyes
inkybus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
I didn't care for the writer's crack about 'precious seconds that will make the bus late—because they’re ever on schedule, lolz—to the next destination'. How do they think a bus ends up behind schedule?

Maybe - just maybe - slow-boarding riders have something to do with it. Rolling Eyes

I agree with you, but at least he is doing his part to keep the time wasting down to a minimum.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Los Angeles, I've seen any number of bicyclists taking to buses and, in most cases, making a smooth and fairly quick transition with seemingly no impatience on the part of the operator (of course, I see this all from a distance and cannot possibly know what's going through the driver's mind!).

I have always wondered though whether these bike racks, when extended and filled to capacity, in any way impair the driver's vision and judgement - I think that might have annoyed me more when I drove a bus!

It would seem to me that negotiating the wheel chair of a physically challenged person could be far more aggravating and time consuming!

In any event, I have to think that modern bus schedules have been adjusted to compensate for the lost time involved in these procedures - and if they aren't, they should be!

Cyberider brings out a very interesting and important point about how we driver's must contend with bicycle riders as we vie for roadway with them;

Personally, bikes make me very nervous in traffic and I tend to give them as wide a berth as possible, and to try to get away from them as quickly as possible - I'm always afraid that something will knock them of course right in front of me.

When I was a kid (and, I was a kid once), I had one experience riding my bike on the right side of the road in which I was almost wipped out by an elderly gentleman in what I remember as being a 46, 7 or 8 Plymouth (I can still see it as though it were yesterday).

It was from then on that I always road against traffic so that I could see what was coming at me!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Bill D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While our operation is not yet equipped with bike racks, we do carry plenty of passengers in wheelchairs. The loading and unloading process does add time, especially on the RTS, with its rear door lift. My interaction is usually when there is a failure in the lift system. Most of the complaining that I have encountered is not from the operator, but from other passengers, who are trying to get somewhere in a timely manner. Over the years I have learned many "tricks" to get the bus moving as to keep delays to a minimum.

The addition of features such as bike racks and wheelchair lifts or ramps have resulted in additional time requirements. From my observations, most passengers bringing a bike or wheelchair on the bus will be regulars, and certain routes are affected. The transit authorities should be aware of where delays occur, and adjust schedules accordingly. Of course this is not likely to happen, as financial considerations usually dictate the level of service.

It would be beneficial if TA's worked together with other agencies to provide some type of passenger "training" to help people learn how to use bike racks and wheelchair access. I believe that most of these passengers are not trying to delay the bus, but are nervous and possibly unsure that they are doing things correctly.

In the meantime, a little patience on everyone's part is the best solution.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: