BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fifth Avenue Coach Corporation Route Numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foto_buff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Fifth Avenue Coach Corporation Route Numbers Reply with quote

In various posts I've mentioned that Fifth Avenue's route numbers were separate from the rest of the "M" series route numbers originally assigned beginning in the 1930s, with the Fifth Avenue routes incorporated into the 1970s renumbering that saw them receive "M" prefixes.

I just recently learned the reason for the separation. The original Fifth Avenue perpetual franchises were awarded by New York State, while franchises for the other operators in the five boroughs were awarded by New York City's Board of Estimate.

Thanks and best regards,
Vince

vsyrek@verizon.net
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, the NY Historical Society had managed to acquire what appears to be a very comprehensive collection of FACCO archives. (I was surfing on-line one day and I came across Google references to this info.)
For serious FACCO historians and fans, it seemed to be a real gold mine of historical info.
I'll check again for more specifics.
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the NYHS website:
http://dlib.nyu.edu/findingaids/html/nyhs/fifthave.html
I can only imagine how much priceless info that they have on file for FACCO, a historically significant bus line if ever there were one, and a hugely important part of NYC transit history.
Kudos to those individuals who had the presence of mind to preserve such info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: