BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP Jim Lehrer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: RIP Jim Lehrer Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Just heard of the passing of legendary newsman Jim Lehrer, who also was a lifelong bus enthusiast and historian; his collection of toy and model buses, bus station signs, badges, caps, and other bus-related memorablia* was reputed to be the most extensive (or, at least, one of the most extensive) in existence.

I know he also owned a 1946 Flxible Clipper, which he christened "BETSY II" (his family also owned a miniscule Midwestern bus company when he was a youth)

I also have read (and re-read) his autobio, "A BUS OF MY OWN", which, is not only both highly informative and greatly entertaining, also shows the reader just how much of a true, die-hard bus enthusiast/historian he was throughout his life (he was 88 when he passed)

RIP, Jim, and I certainly hope you'll be behind the wheel of another "Clipper", rumbling happily along Heaven's Highway for all eternity (my most sincerest sympathies, also, to Jim's family and friends)

"NYO"

*Certainly hope Jim's monumental bus collection will be well cared for and carefully preserved........
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Jim Reply with quote

On PBS Thursday, they gave Jim Lehrer at least 20 minutes. In one brief clip he mentioned his interest in intercity buses. Understandable, as his dad may have been a ticket agent in Wichita or somewhere smaller. I understand that he wrote three memoirs. His 1975 book, "We Were Dreamers," apparently describes his family's attempt to run a feeder bus company to connect with Trailways. Used copy on sale now $62.
---
A hobby of intercity buses is certainly a niche interest, just as an interest in trackless trolleys. Quite different from the 1.2 million model railroaders. I claim that my hobby is urban public transit.
---
However, a high point of my youth was annual interurban rides on the Liberty Bell Limited from Allentown to Norristown and Upper Darby, a day trip from Manhattan. Now, I have learned that there is no intercity bus service at all between Allentown and Philly! What the private car on I-476 has done!
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

A LUCKY, LUCKY fellow indeed, for getting to ride on a REAL-LIVE "Liberty Bell Limited"!! Very Happy

You are clearly cut from the same cloth that I am; I've long regarded myself as a "public transit historian", and, that, good friend, indeed says it all!Very Happy

Ironically, a few months back, I purchased a metal repro 1930's GREYHOUND "BUS DEPOT" sign; I remember saying to myself, "I bet Jim Lehrer has one of the originals!" (hey, I'm MORE than happy with a repro at a reasonable price!

Speaking of the intercity bus hobby, I have a large collection of vintage toy GREYHOUND and TRAILWAYS buses; all these once-cheap and once-commonplace toys indeed reflect a long-ago era, when the GREYHOUND and CONTINENTAL fleets were the undisputed Kings of the Intercity Bus World, back when traveling on a long-distance coach was both elegant and exciting!

Today, what is left of the once-great GREYHOUND empire is fractured and fragmented, a sad parody of what it once was, back in the glory days.......

"NYO"
Steve Carras

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Jim Lehrer Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Gentlemen:

Just heard of the passing of legendary newsman Jim Lehrer, who also was a lifelong bus enthusiast and historian; his collection of toy and model buses, bus station signs, badges, caps, and other bus-related memorablia* was reputed to be the most extensive (or, at least, one of the most extensive) in existence.

I know he also owned a 1946 Flxible Clipper, which he christened "BETSY II" (his family also owned a miniscule Midwestern bus company when he was a youth)

I also have read (and re-read) his autobio, "A BUS OF MY OWN", which, is not only both highly informative and greatly entertaining, also shows the reader just how much of a true, die-hard bus enthusiast/historian he was throughout his life (he was 88 when he passed)

RIP, Jim, and I certainly hope you'll be behind the wheel of another "Clipper", rumbling happily along Heaven's Highway for all eternity (my most sincerest sympathies, also, to Jim's family and friends)

"NYO"

*Certainly hope Jim's monumental bus collection will be well cared for and carefully preserved........

RIP JIm L. Any relaiton to folk-satirist Tom leher, so often heard on Dr.Demento?
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Jim Lehrer Reply with quote

Steve Carras wrote:
RIP JIm L. Any relaiton to folk-satirist Tom leher, so often heard on Dr.Demento?

Not that I could tell. Nor to NPR's Brian Lehrer.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve:

If you haven't already read it, Jim's autobio, "A BUS OF MY OWN" you should find a copy; is a MUST READ, and is a very interesting and insightful work, and also, chronicles in detail his long and exhausting search for old bus station signs.

I wonder, now, if Jim's massive collection of bus memorabilia will be donated to the bus museum at Hershey; his magnificent 1946 FLXIBLE Clipper ("Betsy II") is already on exhibit at Hershey; Jim donated the bus to the Museum back in 2015........

"NYO"
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon has a copy of "We Were Dreamers" for $773. I think it describes the Lehrer family's attempt to run a feeder route to Trailways somewhere. There seem to be two printings, 1975 and 1986.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
Amazon has a copy of "We Were Dreamers" for $773. I think it describes the Lehrer family's attempt to run a feeder route to Trailways somewhere. There seem to be two printings, 1975 and 1986.

Joe:

Should that be $7.73? Wink

If that is the correct price, it sure sounds like a good buy to me! Wink

"NYO"
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speculators have asked for high prices for Lehrer's books. Only an original large printing would cancel out high prices. Most runs were small.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
Speculators have asked for high prices for Lehrer's books. Only an original large printing would cancel out high prices. Most runs were small.

Joe:

That would make sense.

That, plus that the run was small to begin with, would have all current signs pointing to extremely high prices, especially given the fact that Jim Lehrer has only just passed away...... Sad

As I said previously, I've greatly enjoyed my well-read, dog-eared copy of Jim's "A BUS OF MY OWN", and have read (and re-read it) too many times to count over the years.

He indeed was a wonderful storyteller, as well, and knew how to "capture a moment".....

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to just learn of Jim Lehrer's passing...he will certainly be missed!

BTW, in addition to the two books Jim published mentioned previously, he also penned the novel: "The White Widow", a story about the fall of a Continental Trailways "Master Operator", who made a bad mistake...a good read, with lots of historical details of early fifties bus operations in Texas.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Thanks for this heads-up......I know I would certainly enjoy reading about bus operations in 1950's Texas! Wink

Yes. Mr. Lehrer was indeed a fine gentleman and a consummate pro, not to mention one of the finest of bus historians...he will be indeed missed by many.....

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: