BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bus enthusiasts and today's buses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Bus enthusiasts and today's buses Reply with quote

Fellows:

Though, of course, most enthusiasts (at least we "old timers!) still revere and wax nostalgic over the famed Old Looks and Fishbowls (and, of course, the older buses built by other long-gone builders) it is obvious that the buses of today ("shoe boxes", "milk cartons", etc!) still have their followers.

What modern vehicles capture your interest? (or don't?)

Do you see the bus hobby expanding as a new era of buses dawns, or, do you see the interest waning at all.

Not really getting "out and about" bus-wise these days (except locally), it is hard for me (except on the 'net) to really see what is going on in the hobby today.

Always greatly appreciate your input! Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Roth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Baltimore it's been a New Flyer operation for the last 14 years. Kind of boring. An order for delivery from NovaBus has been placed for 2020 delivery but they all seem to look alike these days. My kingdom for a GM Old or New Look.

John
John Roth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Baltimore it's been a New Flyer operation for the last 14 years. Kind of boring. An order for delivery from NovaBus has been placed for 2020 delivery but they all seem to look alike these days. My kingdom for a GM Old or New Look.

John
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Roth wrote:

John

John:

I hear you, my friend!

I grew up at a time when Old Looks, Fishbowls, Whites, Macks, ACF-Brills (and even a few elderly late 30's TWIN COACHES) were still commonplace, and were painted in virtually every color of the rainbow (of course, this was still the heyday of privately owned bus companies in New Jersey, long before the NJT era)

I think I watch buses pass by more out of habit than anything else these days (after 60-odd years, it IS a hard habit to kick!)

Even the once oh-so-commonplace GRUMMANS/METROS are now long gone (I do admit warming up to them, as time went on)

The big NEOPLAN artics are always interesting to watch, though (I like to imagine that have trolley poles up top, like those used on Boston's Silver Line!)

Personally, I truly believe that today's buses can easily be "jazzed up" with a paint scheme that, at least partly, pays tribute to the carriers of old (Yes, I DO know that paint IS expensive!)

But, of course, my heart still yearns for the "good old days" of my childhood, when the wonderful old relics we often discuss here were still around in great numbers!

Still and all, IT is a FUN hobby still! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Showing my age, here....... Rolling Eyes

Recall the days when transit photographers "bagged their prey" with cameras using TRADITIONAL film???????? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Flash bulbs, flash cubes, Photomat.......where have the years gotten to?? Confused

I sure as heck don't know! Rolling Eyes

I can't believe that some of my older bus photos are now well over 40 years old.......I sure had a blast up in Montreal (summer of 1973) with those classic CCF-BRILLS that were still in service!! Wink

"NYO"
Steve Carras

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Showing my age, here....... Rolling Eyes

Recall the days when transit photographers "bagged their prey" with cameras using TRADITIONAL film???????? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Flash bulbs, flash cubes, Photomat.......where have the years gotten to?? Confused

I sure as heck don't know! Rolling Eyes

I can't believe that some of my older bus photos are now well over 40 years old.......I sure had a blast up in Montreal (summer of 1973) with those classic CCF-BRILLS that were still in service!! Wink

"NYO"

Almost ALL modern ones..blech..!

Last edited by Steve Carras on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve:

If you go to the Wikipedia page, "Transport In Thailand", you will see a "bus" that is used in BRT service; you CANNOT believe just how much this vehicle resembles a giant mutated insect, COMPLETE with HUGE feelers exting from its "face"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

The "regular" transit buses in Bangkok are typical modern boxy vehicles, but, at least, they are painted, instead of being decked out in the oh-so-bland-and-boring white with a few thin stripes here and there.

Outide of two or three makes, I cannot tell most buses apart from the other, as I was once able to do, many years ago......... Confused

"NYO"
Steve Carras

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Steve:

If you go to the Wikipedia page, "Transport In Thailand", you will see a "bus" that is used in BRT service; you CANNOT believe just how much this vehicle resembles a giant mutated insect, COMPLETE with HUGE feelers exting from its "face"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

The "regular" transit buses in Bangkok are typical modern boxy vehicles, but, at least, they are painted, instead of being decked out in the oh-so-bland-and-boring white with a few thin stripes here and there.

Outide of two or three makes, I cannot tell most buses apart from the other, as I was once able to do, many years ago......... Confused

"NYO"

Anyone wanna swat a giant mutated insect? LOL Very Happy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

A fellow transit buddy of mine, who, like me, DESPISES the "mutated insect" look of many modern buses and light rail units, always makes the remar:

"QUICK, HENRY, THE FLIT!" Shocked Shocked Shocked

I have seen photos of these HIDEOUS light rail units in France, that are truly frightening; they really DO look like giant mutated caterpillars or eels!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked

""SACRE' BLEU! QUICK, HENRIQUE, LE FLIT!!" Shocked Shocked Shocked

(I have also seen some pretty ugly-looking buses and light rail units in other European/Asian countries........"MUTANT HUMAN-FEEDING SPAWN FROM HADES"!!!!) Shocked Shocked Shocked

Give me an Old Look or a Fishbowl any day....... Wink

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: