BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New BoT/NYCTA buses for Staten Island

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: New BoT/NYCTA buses for Staten Island Reply with quote

All:

When did the first new postwar buses begin service on Staten Island?

Were these GMC's or Macks?

Also, when did New Looks first enter service on Staten Island routes?

For a good part of the 60's, I can remember seeing only Old Looks and MACKS at the St. George terminal.

Quite awhile ago, I remember someone saying that Staten Island "was where the TA sent their old buses to die".

The last time I rode a Staten Island route, was in the later 60's, when my folks and I rode a VERY noisy Old Look from St. George to Richmondtown, on a summer Sunday.

As best I can remember, this was sometime around 1968 or so.

Thanks in advance for any input............

"NYO"
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New BoT/NYCTA buses for Staten Island Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
All:

For a good part of the 60's, I can remember seeing only Old Looks and MACKS at the St. George terminal.

Quite awhile ago, I remember someone saying that Staten Island "was where the TA sent their old buses to die".

The last time I rode a Staten Island route, was in the later 60's, when my folks and I rode a VERY noisy Old Look from St. George to Richmondtown, on a summer Sunday.

"NYO"

Actually the first postwar buses were 35 White 798s purchased by Isle Transportation Corp. in 1947. After the city takeover, Mack C-45-GTs arrived in 1948 followed shortly by GM TDH-5101s. Info. from the MCA Staten Island issue, March 1973 .
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: New BoT/NYCTA buses for Staten Island Reply with quote

X-Astorian wrote:
All:

"NYO"

Actually the first postwar buses were 35 White 798s ordered by Isle Transportation Corp. but delivered to and paid for by the City in 1947. Mack C-45-GTs arrived in 1948 followed shortly by GM TDH-5101s. Info. from the MCA Staten Island issue, March 1973 (reply revised after re-reading the appropriate section).
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was at St. George this Thursday.
Current SI local buses seem to be:
1. Nova LFS
2. Orion VII New Gen Hybrid
3. Orion VII EPA 10 Diesels
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Was at St. George this Thursday.
Current SI local buses seem to be:
1. Nova LFS
2. Orion VII New Gen Hybrid
3. Orion VII EPA 10 Diesels

Q65A:

Appreciate this up-to-date info......thank you! Wink

Just a couple of quick questions:

1: When did the last New Looks make their final runs on a Staten Island local route? (I'm guessing sometime in the mid-90's)

2: What depot currently serves the SI buses? (is this a newer facility, or an older NYCTA building?)

'NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New BoT/NYCTA buses for Staten Island Reply with quote

MaBSTOA had something similar - only The Bronx was where they sent their old buses to die. More specifically, the 120 New Looks ordered by Fifth Avenue Coach Lines in 1960 for service on their and Surface Transit's routes, all concentrated by the end at Kingsbridge depot.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B:

I would imagine, that, in certain areas, transit operators seemed to "pawn off", if you will, their oldest equipment to routes that are not among the "glamour" trunk lines, before the coaches were finally retired.

In my area of NJ, from the 70's onwards, the remaining Old Looks were then (mostly) used as rush hour trippers; I can remember seeing more and more Old Looks appearing on the run, later in the afternoon, and saying to myself, "Yep, another rush hour is about to get started!"

Many eons ago.....

"NYO"

......as a kid, I remember that it seemed that the only NYCTA buses I ever saw at the St. George Ferry terminal were the GMC Old Looks and Macks, at least through the mid-1960's.
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SI Division now has 4 depots, 3 of which serve local lines and 1 of which serves only express routes:
Castleton: 1390 Castleton Ave., Port Richmond; construction approved in 1948 (when BOT took over PBLs on SI); oldest depot, former NYCTA garage; serves 22 local and 8 express routes; as of 2016, it garaged 217 buses.
Yukon: 40 Yukon Ave., New Springville; opened 9/13/81; SI Division Headquarters; serves 14 local, 8 express and 1 SBS routes; as if 2016, it garaged 279 buses (giving it the largest fleet in the SI Division)
Meredith:336 Meredith Avenue, Chelsea; unlike other SI depots (which operate 24/7) Meredith works M-F only, supporting 8 express routes only; as of 2016 it garaged 75 cruisers; incurred damage from Hurricane Sandy in 2012 and was closed, repaired and later re-opened.
Charleston: 4700 Arthur Kill Rd., Charleston; newest SI depot (opened Jan. 2011) supports 8 local and 13 express routes; as of 2016 it garaged 215 buses.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A:

Thanks for this great info; this is exactly what I wanted to know! Very Happy

I was surprised to learn that there are several bus depots on Staten Island; given Staten Island's size, I was thinking more or less along the lines of a single garage (or possibly two) handling the borough's buses.

I have not been to Staten Island since 1997, and the last time I rode a Staten Island bus was during the summer of 1985, when a fellow transit buff and I were exploring the old SIRT North Shore/Arlington line.

I remember we boarded the bus in Port Richmond, heading back to the St. George terminal, after our photo-safari was done for the day.

At that time, the old illuminated arrow directing motorists to the Bayonne (Bergen Point) ferry, which shut down around 1962, was still intact, along with the remains of the old slip.

I was quite young when that ferry was still in use, but I still can remember the small boats that were operated by SUNRISE FERRIES, the same company that operated the Tottenville-Perth Amboy ferry line until October, 1963.

Interestingly, the Bayonne ferry (as well as the 125th St. line out of Edgewater) was operated by PSNJ until the early 1940's.....

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: