BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New York "Dollar Van Fans"?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: New York "Dollar Van Fans"? Reply with quote

Fellows:

On the "General Bus Forum", awhile ago, I started a thread on the "Jitney (Dollar Van) Invasion".

Not surprisingly, it is obvious, I have found, that motorists and city bus drivers alike are how, shall we say, less than enamored by phalanx of "jitneys" that cruise around the streets with great abandon I certainly can tell you a few "jitney" stories, from a bus rider's/pedestrian's point of view!)

One gent who posted a reply in my thread posted (to my surprise) a number of jitney photos (EXCELLENT variety, BTW) showing both the dollar vans (usually FORD models) and conventional buses.

I, myself, have not taken any sort of bus photos in well over a decade (and, even then, few and far between)

What I am curious about here is there anyone on our board that takes pictures of the "Dollar Vans" (as part of the bus hobby), or do they simply see them as an annoyance and/or distraction?

In my area, "jitneys" FAR outnumber NJT buses, and, therefore are the majority (overwhelmingly!)

Just curious.......... Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......just a little personal note, here......

Due to certain circumstances, I found myself (against my better judgement, might I add!) having to ride a dollar van on several occasions, nearly 20 years ago (man, they've been around THAT long already??)

One time, I remember seeing seats that clearly came off of a retired NJT bus; on a few others, I found the old-style "buzzer cords" for signalling the driver, that easily might have come off of some scrapped New Look.

I'm going to wager a guess that at least some of these "dollar vans" utilize some fixtures from retired transit buses.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

This is a good, in-depth article, regarding the "dollar vans" in New York as well as New Jersey.

An interesting article, to be sure (scary to lean that many "jitneys" are unlicensed)..........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_vans_in_the_New_York_metropolitan_area
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another very interesting article (w/photos); this one focuses on the issues with the "dollar vans" in Brooklyn.......

https://www.bklynr.com/brooklyns-dollar-vans-will-not-yield/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: