BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Transbay Transit Terminal Shut Down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hot Topics & Current Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: New Transbay Transit Terminal Shut Down Reply with quote

We were discussing the old Transbay Transit Terminal in San Francisco in a recent thread, and I ran across this story in another forum. Thought it might be of interest here...

https://tjpa.org/uploads/2018/09/TJPA-Statement-Media-Availability-Salesforce-Transit-Center-Temporary-Closure-9-25-18.pdf

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/cracked-beams-transbay-transit-center-damage-crews-13270114.php

I was not aware that they had even opened it yet, and were still operating from the "temporary trans bay terminal". Looks like they were fortunate that they hadn't dismantled it, so that they could temporarily move back in.

It seems amazing that in a city prone to earthquakes, there should be such a design or build flaw.... Surprised
rvwalton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking forward to seeing the terminal in action when I visited recently. While it was sad that the terminal was closed, I am glad they discovered the fissure before it caused the support beam to fail. Can't even imagine what that would looked like.
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to BusTalk! Smile

I almost forgot about that fiasco...a quick search gave me this capsule history up to 28 October...
https://www.businessinsider.com/san-franciscos-transbay-transit-center-problems-2018-10#on-october-18-the-city-said-it-was-taking-a-time-out-from-funding-the-project-withholding-96-million-that-was-supposed-to-finance-the-terminals-expansion-19

Really a sad situation, that doesn't seem to have an end in sight...

Time to forget it and go to "Plan B" perhaps? (whatever that may be) Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hot Topics & Current Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: