BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear windows on Flx "New Looks"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Rear windows on Flx "New Looks" Reply with quote

All:

I don't know if this has already been discussed here, but, this is one of those little "head-scratchers" that have the habit of getting the better of me.

The "first-generation" Flxible "New Looks" (starting in 1961), featured a large rear window, similiar to those of the GMC "Fishbowl".

When the new (New Jersey) state-ordered DOT "New Looks" started coming on-line about 1976, they had smaller rear windows, but, you could still make out the original (now blanked-in) window area, that was used on the original coaches.

Was there any particular reason for this changeover?

I used to think it might have had something to do with the rear-mounted a/c unit, but, then again, many "Fishbowls" had rear-mounted a/c units, but still retained the "standard" large rear window,

Appreciate any info.......thanks in advance.....

John
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

It is very possible that Flxible ran into the same 'roof shimmy' problem that plagued early GM New Looks and which caused the large center section of the rear glass to crack diagonally from one lower corner to the opposite upper corner.

The fix, as can be seen in the image below and was sponsored by GM, was a new divided center section separated by a vertical rubber gasket at the center.

The reason for the shimmy was found to be inadequate body members to support the roof due to the use of panoramic passenger windows.

That problem was dealt with with the installation of additional frame supports at both ends of the standee windows.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L".....

Thank you, and, indeed your info does help!

I can clearly see the GM-sponsored "fix" in the photo you provided.....a little ingenuity indeed goes a LONG way!<G>

Again, thank you for your valuable input......

John

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Here are a few more pics of interest.....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3046

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3087

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2305
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were three rear window variations on the Flxible New Look buses. All were built with or without air-conditioning.

There was the original large window from 1960 to 1972. This consisted of a large center pane (sometimes split down the middle into two separate panes) and two smaller panes on either side. The tailpipe was mounted below the engine.

In 1972, Flxible debuted their version of GM’s ‘EIP’ package. The side panes were replaced by two air scoops, with the tailpipe now extended to come out at the top of the driver’s side scoop. The center pane(s) remained unchanged.

In 1975, Flxible mounted a small rectangular emergency window in place of the large center panes. The air scoops also went away but the roof-level tailpipe remained on the left side.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

railbus63:

Appreciate the additional info; the last rear window treatment was the one I knew. here in NJ.

Prior to the arrival of the NJDOT-purchased Flx "New Looks", Flx coaches wsere never seen in my area of NJ; GM's dominated the scene, and, through the 60's, WHITES, MACKS, and ACF-BRILLS were also commonplace.

The only Flx coaches I remember as a kid were the occassional CLIPPERS and VISICOACHES, that I'd see operating charter runs.

When the NJDOT "New Looks" came on-line, they displaced the oldest of the "Old Looks" that were then in service on a number of NJ properties.

The vast majority of these veteran coaches (and, also a number of the "Fishbowls") began to be retired when the Grumman Flex/Metro's started arriving.

The Flex "New Looks" were just about everywhere years back.....I certainly now regret not taking any pics.......

John
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure whoever lived on the East Side of Manhattan when (at least) one of the 1964 Flxible 5000 series New Looks was assigned to the First/Second Avenue M15 line, regretted that he/she didn't take any photos of that to show that that set's run wasn't confined solely to the outer boroughs . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: