BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nassau County Bus System Map 1960

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Nassau County Bus System Map 1960 Reply with quote

Ah yes! Who can forget the days long before the state takeover that bus watching was a variety of makes and models with some unique to the fallen flags that are now nothing more than a distant memory.

I remember my high school days in the early 60's when me and my trusty bike will trek south from my Mineola home and spend hours at the old Hempstead Bus Terminal. Everything from Macks and GM and an occasional Transit bus kept that terminal a busy place. My favorite coin shop was there and who could forget that icy glass of orangeade from Nedicks?

Scanned is a system map from 1960. Check out all those bus companies. Too big for my scanner, I had to divide it into two parts.

Enjoy!

Frankie

Nassau CO 2 - Copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  232.46 KB
 Viewed:  21962 Time(s)

Nassau CO 2 - Copy.jpg

Nassau CO 1 - Copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  227.46 KB
 Viewed:  21962 Time(s)

Nassau CO 1 - Copy.jpg

Robert Carroll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Nassau County Bus System Map 1960 Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
Ah yes! Who can forget the days long before the state takeover that bus watching was a variety of makes and models with some unique to the fallen flags that are now nothing more than a distant memory.

I remember my high school days in the early 60's when me and my trusty bike will trek south from my Mineola home and spend hours at the old Hempstead Bus Terminal. Everything from Macks and GM and an occasional Transit bus kept that terminal a busy place. My favorite coin shop was there and who could forget that icy glass of orangeade from Nedicks?

Scanned is a system map from 1960. Check out all those bus companies. Too big for my scanner, I had to divide it into two parts.

Enjoy!

Frankie
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for posting these maps. I have long been concerned that northeast Nassau County has been weakly served, but Northern Blvd and Cedar Swamp Road now gets served from Great Neck, albeit with only college stops. That is, there is Greenvale-to-Hicksville service. That's an addition to 1960. An inconvenient subtraction is the removal of Bayville service.
---
Sometime ago, I learned of wartime routes bringing workers to the airplane factories, but certainly the lines criss-crossing East Meadow and Levittown hardly existed before suburban sprawl.
---
Many roads radiate from the business districts of Hempstead, Hicksville, Valley Stream and Rockville Centre, presumably in existence fifty years before bus travel was introduced.
---
It would appear that the N80 and N81 were at that time operated by Star Bus Lines. One of those two routes from Hicksville met Utility Lines near the Bar Harbour Shopping Center.. In July of 1960, I made four trips on Utility Lines there during a railroad strike.
---
I can make out a few former streetcar lines on the map, probably established fifteen years before the muddy roads were macadamized after the Great War.
Robert Carroll

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: 1960 Map. Reply with quote

The map shows Star operating a Freeport to Baldwin service by way of Bay Colony. This was a brief effort by Star in the early 50,s,then Hempstead Bus took over service from Bay Colony to the R.R. Station.This was the original Mack Bros. route. HB ran it right up to the 60's as I recall....Perhaps Star returned to the scene with the route as shown.I will stand corrected if more info.is provided....Bob.
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting map...thanks for posting it.

I wish someone could post an earlier map, one that would show the former routes of Queens-Nassau Bus Co. routes into Nassau county...I recall the name on the buses in the mid-fifties, but would like to see where they actually operated into Nassau....
Robert Carroll

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD:Queens Nassau converted former trolley routes to buses in 1937.It had 4 routes,but none to the east and Nassau county.I rode the Q65 to College Point during the 40s and 50s remembering the great ACF Brills of that time....B
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did they have that name then? They must have had at least one route into Nassau at one time...before 1954, at least, when I moved into their territory and started riding them (I still do, however, the Q-64 is now operated by former Jamaica Bus Co., Baisley Park depot)....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: