BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'MACK BROTHERS TRANSPORTATION CO.'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: 'MACK BROTHERS TRANSPORTATION CO.' Reply with quote

Mack Brothers Transportation Co., Inc. (no relation to the bus manufacturing family) was a one time small local Long Island operator serving the south shore communities of Baldwin and Baldwin Harbor with both transit and school contracts.

Pictured below (top) is fleet # 26 - a 1933 Indiana Model 14C and one of an unknown few (if any others at all) purchased used in 1938 from Green Bus Lines of Jamaica, New York.

Built in Cleveland, Ohio and sporting bodies by Bender, the Indiana line was White Motor Company's light duty offering and was ideal for low volume feeder routes.

Green Line had originally purchased fifty of the 14C's to help fulfill a franchise obligation in Manhattan and, while they were solidly built and ran well, their 25 passenger capacities were soon obsoleted by the company's rapid growth and they were replaced in 1938 by thirty-five 37 passenger Mack CT's.

Of note on #26 is the rather steep passenger step well, the porcelain plated hand rails and, because of war footing, no front license plate and the once chromium plated radiator shroud painted so as to be a less attractive target to enemy bombers.

The lower frame below shows a 14C in full Green Line dress heading eastbound and just crossing Broadway at Chambers Street in Lower Manhattan.

Upper photo courtesy of eBay.
Lower photo courtesy of NYPL Digital Gallery.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A post script to the Mack Brothers Transportation article featured above as reported in the January 1952 issue of Bus Transportation magazine (the bible of the industry at the time);

L. B. Cropper, owner of both Di Leo Bus Company established in 1932 and serving Freeport, New York and Mack Brothers Transportation Company established in 1927 and serving Baldwin and Baldwin Harbor, New York, had filed for bankruptcy last month (December 1951) and has now been ordered by the court to cease operations of both companies.

The Hempstead Bus Corporation of Hempstead, New York has been appointed by the court to temporarily take over the routes.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of more great Mack Brother's Transportation Company photos in color.

Top; Mack Brother's fleet number 20 - a Ford Transit Model 29B of early forties vintage in an image taken in July of 1949 - notice the destination sign as Bellmore/Wantagh.

Bottom; Mack Brother's fleet numbers 5 (center) and 26 (right) taken at the company's Baldwin yard date unknown.

Both #5 and #26 are ex Green Bus Lines (NY) 1933 Indiana Model 14C's.

Images courtesy of 2009 Transitman and are up for bid on eBay as item # 300679074308.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to report that the Mack Brother's Ford Transit #20 that is shown in the last post above met with disaster only two month later in a collision with a U.S. Army ambulance in Hempstead (L.I.) while in School Bus service on September 14th. of 1949.

As can be seen below, there was at least one injury with a victim on a stretcher awaiting another ambulance.

In that Mack Brothers was already in the throws of bankruptcy, it is doubtful that #20 was ever rebuilt by them.

Photo from the New York Journal American Photographic Morgue taken by Platnick.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall, take note,

Seen at the Baldwin, Long Island railroad station (pre elevation) along Sunrise Highway and waiting for its next trip to downtown Baldwin and Baldwin Harbor is fleet # 6 - a 1939 Mack Model CW-3G operating for Mack Brothers Transportation Company, Inc. of Baldwin, New York.

As with most of the rest of the company's small fleet, # 6 was bought used as no listing in new Mack production can be found, and the lack of a front plate may indicate a war time photo.

Of note were the still optional horizontal sweep sets of windshield wipers for each glass and a combination manufacturers badge and company monogram under the windshield (only by coincidence!).

You can learn more about the history of Mack Brothers in earlier posts in this thread.

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and is up for auction on eBay as item # 181074502513.

Robert Carroll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: 'MACK BROTHERS TRANSPORTATION CO.' Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Mack Brothers Transportation Co., Inc. (no relation to the bus manufacturing family) was a one time small local Long Island operator serving the south shore communities of Baldwin and Baldwin Harbor with both transit and school contracts.

Pictured below (top) is fleet # 26 - a 1933 Indiana Model 14C and one of an unknown few (if any others at all) purchased used in 1938 from Green Bus Lines of Jamaica, New York.

Built in Cleveland, Ohio and sporting bodies by Bender, the Indiana line was White Motor Company's light duty offering and was ideal for low volume feeder routes.

Green Line had originally purchased fifty of the 14C's to help fulfill a franchise obligation in Manhattan and, while they were solidly built and ran well, their 25 passenger capacities were soon obsoleted by the company's rapid growth and they were replaced in 1938 by thirty-five 37 passenger Mack CT's.

Of note on #26 is the rather steep passenger step well, the porcelain plated hand rails and, because of war footing, no front license plate and the once chromium plated radiator shroud painted so as to be a less attractive target to enemy bombers.

The lower frame below shows a 14C in full Green Line dress heading eastbound and just crossing Broadway at Chambers Street in Lower Manhattan.

Upper photo courtesy of eBay.
Lower photo courtesy of NYPL Digital Gallery.

Robert Carroll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this great site.I appreciate Mr.Linsky contributions very much. I grew up on 165th st.backing up to the North Shore Garage.We moved to Baldwin in '48/'49 and were served by one of the smallest bus lines in L.I. the Mack Bros,which had the school contract and served North Baldwin and Bay Colony in Baldwin Harbor. The shock was seeing the front engin buses of such vintage still running.Run they did,you could hear them blocks away,but I never recall them missing a trip,rain or shine. The indiana was Berts bus,an International was driven by Sonny,his son. The Ford #20 was Ed Sumpf's and the Yellow "U" was Mr.Mundy,s.Mr.Mundy was the most popular and nicest driver of them all.The others were nice but kind of quiet.....Every train was met and half hour service between rush hours. This remained so up till the school bus contrat was changed and awarded to another company. I was told that Mack,along with DiLeo was owned by Nick Sempke,no other name was ever mentioned...More to come..Thxs. P.S. Mr.L.Just after the war I was told that Greens best route was The Q11,then the Q8,does that soyund right to you?
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

Thanks for the compliments - they are always greatly appreciated.

It doesn't surprise me that Mack Brothers' little Indiana's ran for as long as they did and the only reason that Green Line sold them early on was because of lack of capacity.

The Q-60 (Manhattan to South Jamaica via Queens Boulevard) has always been one of the longest, busiest and most profit making (with two zones) of Green Line's routes followed by the Q-10 (Lefferts Boulevard) which, once the then Idlewild Airport (now JFK) opened in 1948, became the second in line.

The Q-11 between Queens Boulevard and Howard Beach via Woodhaven Boulevard, which was a comparatively short route, never really had great volume revenue wise and, in fact, was one of Green's lines that was cut back during the war years due to rationing of fuel and tires by the government.

The Q-8 (Ozone Park to Jamaica via 101st. a/k/a Jerome Avenue) did quite well especially carrying loads of shoppers to Jamaica during daytime hours.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Robert Carroll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Mr.Mundy's Bus Reply with quote

A little known fact about little known bus of a little known company in a small little village on Long Island. Mr Mundy's Yellow Coach model"U" was sold by Nick Sempke to Blue Bird Coach of Olean New York. The keepers of the flame restored it in 1981. If you ever go to Hershey PA. it is on display at the Museum of Bus Transportation. Model "U" was built from 1928-1935.Blue Bird dates it at 1934,while MCA in Oct.83 put it at 1928. Mr.Mundy must be looking down from that great bus depot in the sky,with a great deal of pleasure.People all over can see it in Robert Redford's "The Natural" Does ever get better than that! Thanks to Mr.Mundy,Nick Sempke,and Blue Bird. Enjoy!
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

I believe you must be talking about the attachment below.

I did a piece on this Semke/Blue Bird Yellow Model 'U' elsewhere on this site some years ago.

Enjoy,

Mr. 'L'

Robert Carroll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Mack Bros. Reply with quote

Mr.L...Thxs for the picture.I had one but did not know how to send it.Computer baffels me.I am still trying to figure out paragraphs...lol Mr.Mundy thanks you as well. Always interested in Semke and Bee line.Not much about Carters company is available. An aside;I think the first bus I ever remember was Jamaica"s Twin Coach 40.The first post war bus I saw was one evening at Jamaica station at dusk when a M&Q TDH 4506 headed north on the Q60 in maybe 1946.The impression was vivid,after years of the dim lighting in old equipment the impact of a modern design and a bright interior lighting was engaging. In a fleet list for Hempstead bus I did not see the 36 seat new Mack listed. It was the newest and biggest bus to ever serve Baldwin Harbor. Hempstead bus was a big step forward for us.Great drivers,new equipment,printed schedules,clean and best of all heaters for your comfort uin the winter.l Sorry to see it terminated....B
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

To my knowledge, you are one of few living people (including myself) that have ever seen a Green Line 1946 TD 4506 carrying a fleet number between 201 and 210 and the flag of Manhattan and Queens Bus Corporation in action (facsimile seen attached).

You are correct when you say that it must have been around 1946 because that's when those buses were delivered and flagged for M&Q and only until 1947 when M&Q's PSC certificate expired and Green Line gained the franchise.

In fact, on # 210 pictured, you can see the PSC certificate number just aft of the front wheel well and under the side swipe molding.

Photo courtesy of Dennis M. Linsky (no relation).

Enjoy,

Mr. 'L'

Robert Carroll

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Nassau County Private Bus Lines Reply with quote

Eli Bail of the Motor Bus Society is collecting information on Nassau County PBL for a future issue of Motor Coach Age.Any and all inputs would be most appreciated.Thxs Bob
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know how to contact Mr. Bail, please lead him to this section of the website, so he can incorporate all the information posted by his co-author Mr. Linsky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: