BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The new pantograph luggage bay doors
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tripstop80

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: GM PD4017 Reply with quote

V8 Suburbans, 4106s, 4107s, 4903s and 4905s all had the same shifting pattern and "feel"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all had the same shifting pattern...a four speed, constant mesh, Spicer, I believe, with a solenoid reverse...............but....the 4106 was much easier to shift, IMHO. Could be that I was just used to it... Wink
Tripstop80

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: PD4107 Reply with quote

Actually more than that. The earlier 4016's had air assist clutches and were much easier to shift than the later ones; or 4107s,4903s,4905s, etc. The earlier fishbowls also had air assist. All got more difficult after around the 1964 models as the air assist went away and shifting became more of a problem.
The worst were the post-1973 models that had air accelerators. Almost impossible to shift as the air accelerator had poor feel compared to the much more variable cable acceleration.
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's something I didn't know about my favorite bus...I knew the 'second generation' '06 replaced the 'johnson bar' handbrake with the DD3 parking brake, and the entrance door and driver's windows became one-piece, but not the difference in the clutch...

Thanks for the info...it's never too late to learn something new... Smile
JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tripstop80, that's something I didn't realize either.
TheDriver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in hog heaven right now reading all this. Stuff I didn't know. Of course there are things I can relate to in shifting gears as I have driven trucks that were difficult to shift mostly due to a lack of maintenance and some were designed poorly. I now regret not having driven a bus of any kind.
TheDriver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered how the air throttles were, just as I am no fan of hydraulic clutches because of their lack of precise response.
TheDriver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dream about owning either a Fishbowl or Buffalo and I wondered how the old ones were compared to the latest models.
I liked the first generation Fishbowls with their longer standee windows but not the rear engine doors with the fiberglass taillights. I prefer the 3rd generation taillights and would have changed that door just to get the look I want.
I also know now that the longer standee windows made the bus weaker in certain places and had to be reinforced.
I imagine that alternators were not used in the first generation so that would have to be retrofitted.
I liked the interior lights of the early 70's.
I like the control panel on the left of the driver's seat of the first generation.
It seems that each generation brought an improvement of some kind but one improvement I don't like is the EIP since it covers the side windows in the rear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: