BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'A CUBAN TAXI STAND'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: 'A CUBAN TAXI STAND' Reply with quote

I find the antique American cars in Cuba intriguing probably because of the ingenuity and resourcefulness of their owners in keeping them alive and kicking for so many years.

In a photo taken in 2012, we see such a group of specimens in the form of taxi cabs in downtown Havana awaiting fares at what appears to be either a hotel or possibly a railroad depot (although I stand corrected on that point).

While the two Fords, a 1946-47-48 stage left, a 1959 stage right and the red Plymouth between (circa 1950) are interesting, my favorite is the 1950 Cadillac Model 61 four door sedan (center) and a car that I can well speak of with my profundity of knowledge of Cadillacs of that era.

The first thing I noticed right off the bat is that the original front bumper has been replaced by a 51, 52 or 53 model which happened to be very adaptable.

The other glaring oddity is the windshield which was originally one piece but has been replaced by two halves as noted by the almost invisible divider down the center (that's certainly a piece of ingenuity).

The 1950 model 61, a rarity in its own right with little more than 25,000 built, was a less frills and slightly cheaper version of the popular model 62 of the same year and shared a GM 'B' body shell with the four door versions of the Buick Special and Oldsmobile Delta 98.

Cuba is really a car collector's heaven which I hope will open up to us again some day soon so we may enjoy their unique show.

Photo courtesy of 'ihaveitall2' and is available at eBay as item # 111271693618.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all look in pristine condition. No rust or dents in them. I wonder what the climate is in Cuba. I would think tropical with a lot of humidity that would lend itself to creating a lot of rust.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

You're absolutely correct in that the climate in Cuba doesn't do a great deal for car finishes - and, buses as well, as seen below on one which was left abandoned on a Havana street.

Fortunately though, they don't have to contend with snow and the corrosive chemicals used for melting.

I'm sure these people take a great deal of pride in their rides and do whatever they can to keep them looking good and running as well as possible.

Photo borrowed for educational purposes only.

Many regards to you and the family,

WCA

JimmiB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. L,'
Your above photo is of the Hotel Capri.
centro_gallego_havana_cuba__199.jpg

Photo courtesy of Passportto iberostar.com

Centro-Gallego-Havana-Cuba-.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.7 KB
 Viewed:  19819 Time(s)

Centro-Gallego-Havana-Cuba-.jpg

gmnewlook

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New Look is an ex. Société de transport de l'Outaouais.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmnewlook wrote:
The New Look is an ex. Société de transport de l'Outaouais.

gmnewlook,

Thanks for your reply.

I suspected that the bus must have come from Canada just as Cuban cigars get to us here in the states.

Anyway, it's good to know that the Cuban's had some good things come to them over the years.

Many regards from the U.S.

Mr. 'L'
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Cuba if only for its fabulous cars - almost like being hurled a half century rearward in time in Dr. What's his names 'way back machine'.

It's the Havana railroad station in February of 2007 that we see mostly a potpourri of 1950's Chevrolet, Ford and Plymouth station wagons as taxis waiting for fares.

The two Chevys in the foreground behind the tail of the 57 are much like those that were tested as taxis in New York City as part of a plan to eliminate the stretched DeSoto Skyviews in the early fifties.

Note that innovative Cuban mechanics found that Chevrolet's one piece windshields of the 1954 models fit perfectly in place of the difficult to obtain two piece glasses of the 51, 52 and 53 models.

All things considered, these cars are in pretty good shape for their ages and their line of work and, with the TLC that they get, could be around for a long time!

Photo courtesy of 'ca-mcfal' and is available at eBay as item # 111465491085.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCA: The Wayback , not to be confused with a chain / franchise called "Jake's Wayback burgers" was the invention of MR. PEABODY and his young sidekick, Sherman. They were one segment of the Rocky & Bullwinkle Show,along with Boris and Natasha, as well as Dudley Do-Right of the Canadian Mounties.

Hopefully this post will bring back some pleasant memories to members of our group,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: