BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1947 GMC PD3751 power steering help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SheThunder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: 1947 GMC PD3751 power steering help Reply with quote

Hello there....

I have a 1947 GMC PD3751 Silverside Greyhound Bus that has had a power steering mod.
Can not turn front wheels while sitting still, but turns fine with both wheels off the ground.
The mod looks clean, got plenty fluid, but did notice a line rub near fluid tank... Does not seem to be rubbed all the way through, but will replace asap.
While on the ground, I can only move 22" steering wheel between 1/4 - 1/3 turn in either direction before stop and hear strain. (can feel in steering wheel)

From what I can tell by some of the numbers on the housing, the PS unit is for a Ford F7000 dump truck. I didn't do the work, so i cant say for sure.
I just bought her last year & have not had any problems with steering at all.
Only 4500 miles on drive line.
She "Thunder" is a true beauty.... love the vintage lady Wink
I look forward to hearing from you & let me know if you want me to send some pictures of the pump/res/column.... on n on....

Many Thanks

Motto: If you take care of it, it will take care of you.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  133.26 KB
 Viewed:  31987 Time(s)

image.jpg

GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible the pump is going. It may move fluid but has little pressure. The fact you can turn the wheels when off the ground is as good sign the steering box is not the cause. However, no guarantee its not the steering box.

What happens if you rev the engine while turning the steering wheel with the tires on the ground and the bus not moving? Is there a p/s filter that needs to be changed?
SheThunder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the steering turns more with higher rpm.... Could not find a filter & don't see anything inline near the reservoir. Did notice a wet fitting at the bottom of the reservoir though.
I'm just getting to know her, she's my first DD Wink

GtrPknToolToatinMama Wink
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of p/s pump and reservoir please.
SheThunder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the res pic I happen to have on hand, ill take more pics tomorrow morning, or as soon as the thunderstorms leave town.... It's nasty and flood warnings happening right now.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.4 KB
 Viewed:  31940 Time(s)

image.jpg

GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you remove the bolt on the cover, there is a spring under it. Then a washer, then a filter. Take the spring, washer and filter out. Bolt the cover back on, start the bus and try the steering.
SheThunder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the cover off the other day to check the fluid level because the foam piece at the dipstick cap kept wiping the fluid off the dipstick & i couldn't get a read. I didn't notice a spring or filter at that time.

I will get the long forceps & magnetic reacher to see if there is anything laying in the bottom.
If not, where do I find the part, or is it something I can make using proper materials?
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually those reservoirs have that in them, somebody may have removed them already. It is possible the filter is still in there, as there a few different filters of different heights. I usually put on a disposable glove and reach in to grab the filter. If there is no filter, I am leaning toward the pump again.

And trust me, if the spring was in there you would not have missed it.
ACFCity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Power Steering Reply with quote

There may be a shuttle valve that may be stuck or a relief valve that may be stuck open, dumping the pressure back into the reservoir that is needed for steering assist. The best thing to do is to get a Ford 5000 Service manual to see the details in the steering gear unit and in the pump/reservoir. If the filter is missing in the reservoir, there may be carbon or dirt in one of the control valves in the steering assist. The steering gear unit, the pump and the control valves may just need to be cleaned.
SheThunder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
Usually those reservoirs have that in them, somebody may have removed them already. It is possible the filter is still in there, as there a few different filters of different heights. I usually put on a disposable glove and reach in to grab the filter. If there is no filter, I am leaning toward the pump again.

And trust me, if the spring was in there you would not have missed it.

Sorry it took so long to get back, but the flood we had is just subsiding enough for me to get to the back of the bus.

I found the filter and washers together, but someone must have been in a hurry, cuz the spring was just laying on its side on the top of the filter.... Hmmm.

It made very little difference with the filter out & the fluid looks muddy. Also thicker than expected.... Scratching head.... Wonder if someone put something other than power steering fluid in there?
SheThunder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Reply with quote

ACFCity wrote:
There may be a shuttle valve that may be stuck or a relief valve that may be stuck open, dumping the pressure back into the reservoir that is needed for steering assist. The best thing to do is to get a Ford 5000 Service manual to see the details in the steering gear unit and in the pump/reservoir. If the filter is missing in the reservoir, there may be carbon or dirt in one of the control valves in the steering assist. The steering gear unit, the pump and the control valves may just need to be cleaned.

Yes, will definitely be getting another service manual to add to my collection Wink.
SheThunder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the best way to drain & flush the system of the old fluid?
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheThunder wrote:

Remove the return line from the reservoir, drain fluid into bucket, put line in bucket, plug hole in reservoir, start bus and keep adding fluid to reservoir until fluid from return line is clean. Do not let it run empty is the key.
SheThunder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
SheThunder wrote:

Remove the return line from the reservoir, drain fluid into bucket, put line in bucket, plug hole in reservoir, start bus and keep adding fluid to reservoir until fluid from return line is clean. Do not let it run empty is the key.

Gotcha Wink Thanks!
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have told you this little piece of info- You should not expect to see power steering fluid in there. Could be motor oil, could be transmission fluid. If motor oil, it is probably 10w-30.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: