BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I welcome here? (My bus story)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NiftyNate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Am I welcome here? (My bus story) Reply with quote

Okay, so in 2009 I bought a bus. I had been admiring it since my high school days (only a few years earlier), and when I found out I could afford it with a few payments, I leaped at the opportunity.

I bought this 1966 TDH-3501 from a tow truck driver. It had been used as a camper (converted in 1975) by him and previous owners for many years. After passing through several hands, it managed to still have the engine manual and other important documents (reprinted at some point). The man I bought it from didn't even know the full history of the vehicle.

The engine had some weird problems. The transmission leaked. The wiring was in rough shape. The windows were rusted and stubborn. The speedometer cable was broken. The interior was moldy. The cheap paint was faded and ugly.

I was in love.

So I bought it after months of tiny payments from my part time job, before I even got my driver's license. It sat in my driveway, waiting to have me behind the wheel, until I finally had that card in my wallet. It's registered as a camper, so for now it can be driven with a Class D (lowest level) in Massachusetts.

I drove it down the highway without a hitch, brought it to a small lot in a neighboring town and had it painted (pictures will be provided if requested).

It then took a visit to an amateur carpenter who helped me tear out most of the old interior (lots of faux wood, shag rug, etc.) and start assembling the new one on a shoestring budget. We installed my great grandfather's work counter and some more utilitarian storage solutions. Naturally, I kept the queen-size bed in the back.

I should take this moment to explain that shortly after I purchased the bus, I started my computer repair business. My ultimate objective has always been to build a rolling workshop for my business, which can double as a camper on my vacation days.

Many times it felt like I was in over my head. For over two years the bus sat dead in my driveway, suffering from a damaged starter and rotted wiring that ruined efforts to re-prime the engine. I didn't even have enough money to replace the battery and starter at the same time.

Meanwhile, I had stumbled my way into owning a legitimate business with a physical shop on a prime commercial street. We don't make a whole lot of money, but it's helping me get the bus in proper shape.

I'm 24 years old as of writing this. I brought my bus back to life about a month ago. She's registered and insured, and ready to roll. I'll be parking her in front of my shop with a big banner advertising my business, and some day soon she'll be ready for service as Cape Cod's first mobile computer repair center.

I still don't know what I'm doing half the time. I've learned my way around the engine. Fixed the nightmarish wiring (you should see this stuff) to a degree and got her started after she ran dry in 2011. I'm crawling around underneath. I'm getting my hands dirty and figuring it out one ancient part at a time.

People have begged me to sell the bus. Family has scoffed at my obsession. My customers support me, but my investors are skeptical. I have stood by this vehicle through hard times and great pressures, defending it as though it were the only thing in my life that mattered. My dream is finally coming together and those who doubted my intentions before are starting to come around.

So my question is, with this story behind me, am I welcome in this message board? Am I in the right place? Does my lack of mechanical or life experience put me at odds with the generally older and more adept members of this forum?
ACFCity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: To Keep or not to Keep...That is the Question Reply with quote

I'm with you man.

If you keep it, the electrical and hydraulic systems must be repaired to original new status. Patch work with the electrical system can lead to an electrical fire and burn the bus to the ground.

The same is true with the hydraulic system. One bad hydraulic leak onto the hot exhaust manifold can result in an oil fire that cannot be put out, resulting in the same thing...burned to the ground.

The old suspension and steering parts and moving joints, levers, tie rods, drag link, pitman arm, driveshaft universal joints & driveshaft support bearing assembly, brakes and all of their components are generally worn to be sloppy loose. A failure of a tie rod or a drag link can result in a loss of steering, and you don't want that while you are happily sailing down the road.

I love the antique vehicles, but they have to be brought back to not only roadworthy status, but safe. It takes a lot of mechanical knowledge to bring a large antique vehicle not only back to roadworthy standards, but keeping it in top condition is a must.

The wheels may be split ring style wheels that can be very dangerous when the tire presure is low. Spilt rings have killed many people trying to inflate a low tire. Be careful. There are special inflating devices to keep you from holding the air hose against the tire's valve stem.

If you can take automitive mechanic classes at your local community college, that knowledge can help you identify the necessary electrical and running gear components that must be repaired in order to keep you and those on the road around you safe.

Ultimately, you are going to have to be the one to make the call of To Keep or not to Keep. If you think you can afford to put it on the road in safe condition and keep it in safe condition, go for it. If not, it could be a nice office in your back yard after it has been jacked up and its axles rest on some type of sturdy concrete or steel axle stands.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, well, as a moderator, the only users I have deleted were spammers. Maybe a little spelling correction once in a blue moon, as I am bored and have nothing to do. Closing the door on somebody being a member because their idea of buses differs,no.

Welcome to BusTalk!
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many (if not most) of us here have far less mechanical and/or life experiences than you do already from tinkering with your find. I'd definitely say you're in the right place, since we have experienced people who can help out, other private owners who are seeking similar help, and us daisy-pickers who just sit back impressed that people out there can bring historic coaches back to life.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'I'll second GBL Rebel's motion and say 'Glad to have you aboard'.

BTW; this is a learning experience which works both ways!

Many regards and much good luck to you on your project.

Mr. 'L'
NiftyNate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: To Keep or not to Keep...That is the Question Reply with quote

ACFCity wrote:
I'm with you man.
(...)

I have since driven the bus to my shop for show, and plan to work on the outward appearance until there's time and money to sink into the mechanics. It's a tired old bus, but it's been maintained as a camper up to the time it was purchased.

It last passed inspection in 2011 with no fuss. I have been keeping it registered otherwise - had to sneak it around the corner to my shop on a bad sticker, but there was no trouble.

Recent trouble with the electrical system was quickly remedied. It has a lot of cloth-wrapped wire, but all the high-current wires are within 20 years replaced with modern equivalents. The main ground has been replaced and attached to newly cleaned posts. The new line is marine-grade, fine-strand, nickel-plated 00-gauge copper wire. Should last forever and negate risk of electrical fires.

The bottom is pretty rotted, but with inspections passing I don't think there's anything to compromise the frame. I've had it looked over by an experienced diesel mechanic many times out of paranoia.

I could never, ever dream of taking it off the road.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's coming along! If there's rot, I recommend at least stabilizing it so it doesn't get worse. Wire-wheel the rusted areas and POR-15 everything. If you have holes in the floor, you can temporarily patch them with scrap sheet metal (I know someone who pop-riveted sides of computer cases for this purpose).

When you're ready for permanent metal work, Auto Rust Technicians in Cranston, RI is pricey but top notch. I'm not sure if they have the capability to buses, but it's worth a look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: