BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'BUS TRANSPORTATION'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: 'BUS TRANSPORTATION' Reply with quote

I have just received via eBay purchase (albeit 59 years late) a copy of the December 1951 issue of Bus Transportation Magazine (the one-time 'bible' of the industry).

I am not unfamiliar with the publication which was produced by McGraw Hill at only $.50 a copy in those days.

When I worked split shifts at Green Line I used to arrive at the garage a little early and have coffee in the ready room with a bunch of other drivers.

The magazine rack usually had a number of stale issues of Bus Transportation from the office and I found them fascinating and took more than one home - I'm sorry I didn't save them!

Anyway, this issue has the production records of all buses built in October of 51 and includes Flxible, Fitzjohn, GMC, ACF-Brill, Marmon Herrington, Mack, Beaver, Beck and Southern along with Trolley Bus deliveries from St. Louis Car and Marmon Herrington (totals; 1006 Buses and 37 Trolley Buses).

Among the interesting topics in the 'Top Topics' section are;

N.Y.C. Omnibus Corp Has Merged; having to do with the assimilation of its subsidiaries Madison Avenue Coach and Eighth Avenue Coach all under one roof combining 22 routes and 960 buses.

Sell New York City Transit System or create an authority - we know how that one went!

And finally; Quill's TWU won't strike against New York's private bus operators, but will submit its demand for a 40 hour work week to a fact finding board - we also know how that one went!

The magazine is filled with 146 pages of interesting advertisements and articles on maintenance, service and the usual cost saving ideas.

I'd say to pick up one but I'm afraid it's a little late for that - if you're interested, check out back issue magazines on eBay.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: